Leslie

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
chrisfp99

Leslie

Post by chrisfp99 »

So, back from another frustrating gig. May have had a couple beers. Had this thing over a year, read the manuals, searched the forums, but can someone tell me how to activate a decent leslie on any of the organ sounds? I sort of expect it on the mod knob, but when I push it up it's just an unpleasant wobbly noise. If this the leslie I need a new keyboard. But this is a respected keyboard - surely leslie fast/slow can't be too difficult?

Sorry but just help ...
SynMike

Re: Leslie

Post by SynMike »

Are you connected in Stereo or Mono? The Leslie effect sounds great in stereo. But it sounds terrible when connected in Mono. It's a bug in the FA as far as I'm concerned. I have a VR-09 and the effects sounds basically the same in stereo but the VR-09 works fine in Mono while the FA does not. Years ago I had a VK-7 and it was good, too. Then VK-8 came out and it had this same terrible mono Leslie effect. Roland released a firmware update after a couple of months that fixed the problem. The FA sound like the first version of the VK-8.
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Mike,

S1 is usually a default speed control for the Leslie. Wouldn't be my first choice, but....on my RD700 the bender was the control and it was great. It was in the right spot and it latched, but that is not possible on the FA's. S1 latches whereas I believe the modulation control is momentary.

If you are running mono,change the mic spread to 0 in the rotary effects edit. You can also control ramp up and down speeds for upper and lower, balance between upper and lower, and a host of other parameters. I think there are 3 rotary effects to choose from.

I got it sounding pretty good, but to me it is the tones in the upper register that disappoint.

If you have a Ventilator or other pedal you can send the organ sound out the Sub Out and back into the audio in. I use a Mini Vet that way and I gotta say it sounds really good! The Vent softens up the sound.

Good luck,
Joe
Flavorkeys

Post by Flavorkeys »

Chrisfp99,

Do not bother trying to tweak, modify, adjust the internal Leslie effect in the FA. It is waste of time to get ( maybe) incremental improvements.

Get an external pedal, the Vent works “ If you have a Ventilator or other pedal you can send the organ sound out the Sub Out and back into the audio in. I use a Mini Vet that way and I gotta say it sounds really good! The Vent softens up the sound.”

I use a Lester K pedal and it really makes a world of difference, and half price of a Ventilator pedal, but can’t adjust ramp up and down speeds so gotta like it or not. You can send the organ out put thru Sub outputs or bring it back into the FA thru the audio in.