FA-07 Axial advice needed

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
threality

FA-07 Axial advice needed

Post by threality »

I have my new FA-07 and I want to get some sounds from Axial but I need some input on a few things...

1 - How many downloads can I fit into the FA-07? I was hoping to start with EXP-11 Analog/Digital Vintage Synth Collection, EXP-02 Keys Collection and/or EXP-06 Studio Collection.

2 - Once I download a Collection can I then upload only the Sounds/Patches I want or will I need to upload the entire Collection to the FA-07?

3 - Can I download and use a Collection or some of the sounds from a particular Collection such as the Roland V-Combo VR-09 "The Cover Band Collection"?

Overall I am trying to replace some sounds I have been using on my Roland XP-80 with the Expansion Boards JV80-04 Synth & JV80-08 60's & 70's

I'm playing classic rock covers and would love to take advantage of Axial's stuff!

Thanks in advance!
Joe P

Re: FA-07 Axial advice needed

Post by Joe P »

Thr,

You can download as many packs as you want but you can only load 2 at a time onto the FA and you have to load the whole pack on, not just a few sounds.

Good luck!

Regards,
Joe
threality

Post by threality »

Thanks!
blusprite

Post by blusprite »

However, you can save specific sounds from the expansion pack (after you load it) as a user preset and it will remain available even if you load a different pack, this way you can build your own library of useful sounds from all packs.
lipi

Post by lipi »

threality wrote:
3 - Can I download and use a Collection or some of the sounds from a particular Collection such as the Roland V-Combo VR-09 "The Cover Band Collection"?
Nope.
You can import FA-06/07/08 and Integra7 SVD files only (not for expansion slot). You can't import VR-09, Juno-80, etc... files.

Into the FA's expansion slot you can load only FA's expansions; other expansion files you can't.
lipi

Post by lipi »

blusprite wrote:However, you can save specific sounds from the expansion pack (after you load it) as a user preset and it will remain available even if you load a different pack, this way you can build your own library of useful sounds from all packs.
Be aware!
The tone from EXP's are usually use the EXP's PCM set. You can modify these tones of course, you can save as for a USER slot of course, but when you change the corresponded EXP on the original place (EXP-1 or EXP-2), these modified tones will sound different, because the PCM's what they are use will also changed.
For eg.: when a tone use EXP-1, Wave 0452 that wave is corresponded for one EXP. Other EXP's has another PCM set with another PCM on EXP-1 Wave0452...

When you save a USER tone it's not save the PCM itself, just a link to the PCM's place what the tone is use.
stevel

Post by stevel »

threality wrote:
1 - How many downloads can I fit into the FA-07? I was hoping to start with EXP-11 Analog/Digital Vintage Synth Collection, EXP-02 Keys Collection and/or EXP-06 Studio Collection.
A maximum of 2 complete sets at one time. But go ahead and download all 11 and it's not difficult to swap them out - it takes a little time for the process to run (maybe about 10 minutes) but it's not horrible.

I did a cursory review here on all of the sets. EXPS 1, 2, 3, and 10 have the most sounds in them by far and really expand the capabilities of the FA in the direction of the style of those EXPs. For example, there are very few orchestral sounds but loading EXP10 in gives you a ton. Keys are pretty well represented already in the FA but EXP02 really expands those. EXP01 is just "more of what the FA already excels at" which if you want that, great. EXP03 also gives you a lot of sounds that aren't already there.

The rest of the EXPs also do this of course, but none of them have as many sounds as those 4 and are relatively specific without necessarily bringing anything new to the instrument.

EXP11 is a nice addition, but you can actually get a lot of this by using the Synth Legends Pure (or Impure) set and load that into your user memory - these are the Integra sounds you can download that work in the FA. If you put all 128 of them in, there may be no need to use EXP 11 and you could use that slot for one of the other EXPs instead (though you could install Synth Legends, EXP01, and EXP11 and have an instrument really heavy on synth sounds if that's what you want).

2 - Once I download a Collection can I then upload only the Sounds/Patches I want or will I need to upload the entire Collection to the FA-07?
Entire collection.
Nope.
Overall I am trying to replace some sounds I have been using on my Roland XP-80 with the Expansion Boards JV80-04 Synth & JV80-08 60's & 70's

I'm playing classic rock covers and would love to take advantage of Axial's stuff!
Honestly, I was a bit disappointed in the FA's lack of "classic" sounds - it really is designed primarily to appeal to "modern" music - EDM, Electronica, and all those genres with the weird names the younguns are into!

You're not going to find that Tom Sawyer synth sweep sound. You're not going to find a nice Jump sound.

You're going to have to make your own if you really want or need them.

Sure you can find things that are close and modify them, but you have to know how to do that.

I would say that absolutely you're going to find EXP02 to be a must have install. It greatly expands the keyboards with more organs, electric pianos, and other instruments that are much more useful. When we were doing Pink Floyd I couldn't find a single organ to suit or as good as the one I was using from my old Sound Canvas. I found one in EXP02 (not as perfect, but workable).

I wish they would do a "classic rock cover band EXP" but you know, that might not be who's buying this kit or who they're marketing to.

If you do decide to download and install Synth Legends Pure, know that SLP is the same as SL except there are no effects on the sounds (except those that had them in their original patches). SL adds a bunch of delays and stuff I find annoying.

Also, all the other collections, like the D-50, and the Juno, Jupiter, JV, etc. are all included in the SL(P) groups - so you don't need to download all of them - either SL or SLP will get you 128 sounds which are either all or most of all of the other collections.

This way you only use up 128 User Memories for those sounds.
stevel

Post by stevel »

blusprite wrote:However, you can save specific sounds from the expansion pack (after you load it) as a user preset and it will remain available even if you load a different pack, this way you can build your own library of useful sounds from all packs.

If you modify a sound from an EXP and save it into a user location, and then remove that EXP, the sound will no longer be accessible. As another poster said, it basically "links" to it.

I'm not sure that lipi is correct when they say it will still link to the same wave group and everything from a different set. I do know when I have an EXP in a Studio Set and uninstall that EXP set, the sound is just gone.

But when you reinstall that same EXP it will become re-available.

So yes, you could create a library of user sounds that all call to various EXPs, but the only ones you can hear (or that will be correct) are those that call to whatever EXPs you have installed at a given time.
lipi

Post by lipi »

stevel wrote: If you modify a sound from an EXP and save it into a user location, and then remove that EXP, the sound will no longer be accessible. As another poster said, it basically "links" to it.
Hmmm... I didn't know that, never tried.
stevel wrote: I'm not sure that lipi is correct when they say it will still link to the same wave group and everything from a different set. I do know when I have an EXP in a Studio Set and uninstall that EXP set, the sound is just gone.

But when you reinstall that same EXP it will become re-available.

So yes, you could create a library of user sounds that all call to various EXPs, but the only ones you can hear (or that will be correct) are those that call to whatever EXPs you have installed at a given time.
I wonder if there is any more information in a tone about EXP's then slot/PCM number... If there, they are hidden on screen. :) But what you wrote stevel about the tones availability this is supported by this.

As I said I'll give a try... ;-)