FA06 First Track on Studio Set not responding

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
mike68f

FA06 First Track on Studio Set not responding

Post by mike68f »

Hi everyone,
I've just had my FA-06 a few days, and I have to say I am extremely pleased with it. However, I have noticed a bug which may have always been there or perhaps developed after a couple of saves (I cannot be certain).

Whenever I write my studio set track one becomes unresponsive until I change the sound on the track and change it back again... As I say I don't know whether this has happened all the time, or I've done something that has caused this problem.

For now I'm not using track one (there are 15 others to play with which all work fine) but has anyone else encountered this problem and been able to resolved it??

Thanks
Skijumptoes

Re: FA06 First Track on Studio Set not responding

Post by Skijumptoes »

The first track isn't using preset that no longer exists is it (i.e. from an axial expansion that you have since removed)?

Maybe try saving a set with the standard piano preset on part 1 and see if that loads ok.
mike68f

Post by mike68f »

Thanks for your reply.

No this was already the standard Grand Piano sound. I took one of the pre-loaded studio sets and saved it as a new set. I can't remember the name of the set that I copied but it essentially had 4 tracks all layered so they all played together - at first I may have missed that it was not firing the first track as I played.

It is definitely a bug of some sort because to get it to work again I just roll to the next tone and back again. The keyboard indicator light and keyboard strip remain highlighted the entire time but the little green highlights to show keys being pressed don't show, and of course, I get no sound.

I figured it was such a specific bug, others might have had the same and had found the cause / fix.

Next for me will be to go back to Roland technical support now that I've registered my keyboard with them and see if they can help me out.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I've just tried, and it works fine here, i'm trying to think what else may have happened.

If you go to set 'XYZ Files' as an example, and write that to a user slot, then select/load it - does part 1 work? That's what i just tried.

I'm thinking that maybe something had changed in the 'KBD' switch column for Part 1? As of course that's what defines which parts are being played on a multi set.

I can't think what else may have occurred, so if it does keep happening you have to presume you have a bug there of some sort? You on the latest version (2.00 Firmware)?

Just to confirm, you are using the FA's keyboard, and not a remote midi keyboard to play, correct?

Also, if it happens again, go to the sequencer view and check no mute's or anything obvious is set from the Song currently loaded.
mike68f

Post by mike68f »

I've just tried again... I saved track one to Full Grand 2 and it worked. Went back and saved it back to Full Grand 2 and it's now working!!!!

Very Odd... I'm wondering if somehow that track was muted perhaps on the sequencer? I'm still gettting to grips with the FA - really loving it so far.

Hey, really appreciate you trying to help me work it out. So thanks!
mike68f

Post by mike68f »

Argghhh!! it's back again...

As soon as i write any a studio set the first track stops working...

I've done some more playing around and it appears that if I save one studio set, then the first track on ALL studio sets is dead and the only way to get the sound back is to move to track one and change the tone to something else and back again...

When I say dead, they keyboard display and KBD lights show as normal and the little green key-press indicators do light up, but there is no sound - like the volume has been turned down or muted. I also checked for this in the mixer, but everything looked ok - plenty of gain and not muted.

I've contacted Roland Tech. Support - I may have a faulty keyboard!! :(
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Do you have an expression pedal plugged in, or USB/Midi connection active?

If so disconnect all and see if that helps, there could be some messages being transmitted.

Also, are you on the latest 2.0 firmware?