Expand my organ sounds with a module, how to?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Paul99

Expand my organ sounds with a module, how to?

Post by Paul99 »

Hey guys,

As we all know, the organs are good, bit not really true Hammond like.
So I am thinking of expanding with a 2nd hand Hammond organ module like the Roland VK8M or the XM2.
Since I often play two sounds, one of which is some kinda piano-ish next to the organ, I would need my FA-06 to send on two different channels so that my Roland will play the piano part on the FA-06, but not the part on the FA-06 where I send the midi information to the organ module.

As I don't own a module right now, I cannot test what I think would be the trick to get this to work.
Can somebody with a module confirm that this will work on an FA-06? Or is it different?

Here's what I would do. Make an SS with e.g. a Piano on part 1 and sending on 1 and playing from C0 to say C4 or so, and a dummy sound on part 2 (at least with volume=0) at midi channel 2 and playing from C#4 till C9 where I would put my module on midi receive channel 2.
Now it will play the piano on the left half of the FA-06 and the organ via the module on the right half.

Is this a correct assumption? I hope so!

Paul
Lunar

Re: Expand my organ sounds with a module, how to?

Post by Lunar »

Basically, that's correct. I can't speak for a clonewheel module, but I have my FA setup to control an Integra 7 module, along with two other synths and a drum machine. Here's the method for a split between both; Have the FA in full 16-part studio set mode, make sure the keyboard switch is on for parts 1 & 2. Part one, select keyboard range from lowest note to C4 for example, select a tone on the FA, go to MKB screen (V2 firmware) and turn part transmit to off, turn off part 1 receive on the Integra.
For Part 2, keyboard range C#4 to highest note on both the FA & the Integra, make sure MKB is set to transmit on part 2 from the FA and channel 2 is set to receive on the Integra. Create a "Null Tone" - all oscillators off - on the FA for part 2, select a tone on the Integra and you have a split between both instruments. The reason I would suggest making a tone with no oscillators on is turning the volume down on that part can transmit info over MIDI and turn the volume down - or do other things - on the module as well. Making four keyboard zones and repeating the same thing for parts 3 & 4 will give you two parts on the FA, two on the module etc.

So I can confirm it will work with an Integra. Also worth noting is that the FA can transmit Chord Memory and Arpeggio data over MIDI to a module in real time as well. Hope this helps.
Paul99

Post by Paul99 »

Ahh...thank you very much Lunar!I see I was already moving in the right direction, but you added a very important thing I had forgotten to do: turn midi receive off in the module for the midi channel of part 1 in the FA-06. Thanks for adding that, because otherwise it might have generated unwanted notes on the organ module.

BTW, you have a very elaborated setup with an Integra 7 and two other synths and also a drum machine. It sounds like a one-man-band!
Joe P

Post by Joe P »

Paul,

Another, albeit quite different, approach would be to get a Leslie sim pedal. I can say it improves the organs significantly!

I have run a MiniVent off the sub out and returned the audio to the audio in. You can route the organ part to the Sub Out via Studio Set Part View and then you can set up your splits any way you want.

Just another option to consider. Good luck!

Joe
Paul99

Post by Paul99 »

Hi Joe, thanks for chiming in.
I did take that idea into consideration because I have read this option here at this forum. I just noticed that the base organ sound from the FA-06 with the drawbars is not functioning quite well. I can hear the 3 low bars coming in, the fourth also but then the effect is gradually fading out. Whereas with a real hammond or clone you definitely can hear every drawbar when pulling it out. So I thought that the best would be to have the real deal. I was also doubting because the stereo in is a small input entry so I would have to use an extra plug to fit the regular stereo cord plug. But since you use this method: is it firm and reliable?

I also have the problem of controlling the Leslie: when using midi, I can control the Leslie with my pitchbend and S1 switch. When using a Vent, I have to have it next to my hands and although my FA-06 is conveniently small to take away, it makes it impossible to place something on it. So I would have to use a pedal and since I use already a sustain pedal and I play standing (I don't like sitting....) that becomes a challenging balancing issue for me.....