FA-08 endless encoder knobs?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Gearhead

FA-08 endless encoder knobs?

Post by Gearhead »

Hello! Can anyone tell me if the FA-08 has endless encoders for the 6 knobs? (Meaning, they spin round and round without stops.)

Thanks!
CobraJet

Re: FA-08 endless encoder knobs?

Post by CobraJet »

No, they stop.
Gearhead

Post by Gearhead »

OK, thanks.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Roland implemented direct and catch mode though.
lalaland

Post by lalaland »

The red ring around the encoders are super misleading. The industry norm is that if a pot/encoder is not continuous, that is, it has a start and end point, then it is normally marked with dots or semi-circle label. But FA series didn't respect that norm, and I suspect the choice was deliberate to fool potential buyers. (I found it out not before the second week after I bought it and got super disappointed!). The term 'Rotary encoders' is not enough, always look for the word 'endless' if you need one. Although many manufacturers don't use 'endless' although theirs are true endless rotary encoders. However, It is not quite a deal breaker, but now I am saving for a separate DAW surface controller like Behringer BCF2000 which I thought wouldn't be necessary.

Also, I saw a video where it seems that you can scrub Ableton Live with FA 06's jog wheel. But the midi implementation chart shows it is not capable of doing so. You can only use first 8 of the sample pad to control your DAW.
Paul99

Post by Paul99 »

lalaland wrote:The red ring around the encoders are super misleading.
No, I don't agree. It is very clearly to be seen that there is a white marker sign on the 6 (+2 other) knobs which definitely states that these are not endless encoders.

Yes, it would have been nice if Roland had managed to put digits around the knobs, but when you look carefully at the design, there is no space on a FA-06. On the FA-07 and FA-08 would have been space, but since this is a cheaper product line, Roland obviously choose for 1 design for all the models.
brakjoller

Post by brakjoller »

lalaland wrote:The red ring around the encoders are super misleading. The industry norm is that if a pot/encoder is not continuous, that is, it has a start and end point, then it is normally marked with dots... But FA series didn't respect that norm...
You mean something like this:

:)
lalaland wrote:... I suspect the choice was deliberate to fool potential buyers.
That could be the case, of course, but I think the little "dot" there makes it quite clear that we are not talking about a rotary encoder but instead a normal "pot", or "knob" (as they describe it themselves on their home page).

Personally, I'm more fond of potentiometers, since they are often quicker, but there are scenarios where rotary encoders are better, especially when fine-tuning some parameter. One of the things on the FA that the pots don't work very well with is when you select the TFX. Because there are so many effects to chose from, and because of the nature of a pot, the "distance" between each effect is very small, so it is hard to select the correct effect.

I have a MIDI controller with rotary encoders and for tweaking things like cutoff and resonance, I don't think they work very well. Too slow. Of course, there are encoders with higher resolution, which should make them closer to pots, when needed, and which should also allow for making them both quick and slow. And some even have LEDs to mirror the "dot" on a pot.
lalaland wrote:But the midi implementation chart shows it is not capable of doing so. You can only use first 8 of the sample pad to control your DAW.
I'm quite certain you can use the six pots to control your DAW. From their site:
Additionally, the FA-06/07/08 has the ability to enable "DAW Control Mode." This provides even more functionality by allowing you to control the transport (Play / Stop / Fast Forward / Rewind) controls from the FA-06/07/08 as well as use many of the other controls on the FA-06/07/08 (pads, knobs, etc.) to control your DAW. You do not need to use DAW Control Mode when connecting to a computer, but it does provide additional functionality that is often useful.
But perhaps you meant something else. Double check that before you buy something you might not need.

Good luck!

/Mathias
lalaland

Post by lalaland »

I noticed that white line on top of the pot that are meant to mark the current position but It didn't appear to me as a 'fixed' painted line, but a led light that changes according to the current midi data. Endless rotary pots don't have any fixed mark or detents. If you look at any software pan pot interface design in logic, cubase or ableton, most knobs are surrounded by a solid or dotted circle from 0-360 degree mark (same as Fa06's red circle). In addition to that, some knobs also have current position marker at the center.
Fa06's pot's combination of red circle and the white mark gave me an impression that these are led lights, not fixed paint. Had the red circle discontinued at 270 degree mark, I would correctly suspect that these encoders are not endless. I can't think of any other use of that misleading full red circle. If it is not an endless encoder, it should be dotted, or at least 270 degree.

I was aware that all six pots can be used to control the DAW in addition to the 1-8 sample pads and s1 and s2 buttons. When I mentioned midi implementation chart, I was actually talking about Fa06's jog wheel, which can't control DAW's timeline scrubbing (not sure if it works only in ableton or not).
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

lalaland wrote:The red ring around the encoders are super misleading. The industry norm is that if a pot/encoder is not continuous, that is, it has a start and end point, then it is normally marked with dots or semi-circle label. But FA series didn't respect that norm, and I suspect the choice was deliberate to fool potential buyers. (I found it out not before the second week after I bought it and got super disappointed!).
I was similarly bitten on a Korg Radias. Actual LED displays around the knobs, but they are not contnuous.
brakjoller wrote:I have a MIDI controller with rotary encoders and for tweaking things like cutoff and resonance, I don't think they work very well. Too slow. Of course, there are encoders with higher resolution, which should make them closer to pots, when needed, and which should also allow for making them both quick and slow.
What I think often works well is when they are fast when moved quickly, and slower when moved slowly.