Va synth lfo routing options

Forum for Roland FA-06/08

Va synth lfo routing options

Postby paulmapp8306 » 12:36, 12 February 2018

Hi all,

Looking for a replacement for a fandom s, that will partner an rd 2000.

The most important part is an analogue/va engine (which the s doesn't have hence being replaced. The rd covers a lot of other ground already) but must have min 61 keys and non hammer action which rules out a lot of pure synths.

Q for the fa, can I route an lfo/mod lfo to parameters such as cut off freq in the va synth engine? Can't see it in the manuals and as I don't have one I can't just play. If not it's a deal breaker :( and I'll need to keep looking for an affordable solution elsewhere.
paulmapp8306

Re: Va synth lfo routing options

Postby RoDi » 20:25, 12 February 2018

Both LFOs can modulate pitch, filter cutoff, amp level and pan.

Hope this helps,
RoDi
RoDi

Postby paulmapp8306 » 22:34, 12 February 2018

Yep - that helps. Thanks
paulmapp8306

Postby Skijumptoes » 22:43, 12 February 2018

Other than the supernatural synth, the FA has the same 'VA' PCM synth engine as the Fantom, which arguably has better routing options than supernatural thanks to it's matrix design, it's a straight up 2x LFO design with a step LFO too. But is quite ageing. Again, i believe it's identical to that in the Fantom S.

Supernatural however, has 3 LFO's per tone but you can only use 1 LFO per partial - i.e. you can't LFO pan at a different rate than cutoff on the same partial. PCM engine has 4 LFO's per tone, i.e. one per partial.

However, there is a modulation LFO which is technically the second LFO, and is engaged via modulation wheel, but you can keep the Modulation engaged via a button mapping (S1 etc.), but it's not as straightforward as LFO1/2.

Geez, i hope i've remembered all that correctly or i'm getting shot! lol :)

The supernatural engine is better sounding, but i wouldn't' say that the Fantom's are not VA's, and you can already modulate cutoff etc. via it's LFO as above - just making sure you're aware of that?
Skijumptoes

Return to FA-06 / FA-07 / FA-08