lipi

Working PC Editor for SN-S tone

Post by lipi »

Hi there!

I know, it's low cost ...
It's ugly...
And not nice at all...
but works on PC/Windows10x64!
It's need an installed JRE8 or above on your system... and nothing else. I can't test it on OSX, but there is some chance to work on MAC too, becouse the low level parts of the application are JAVA/operating system routines...

Here is a little demonstration video:
JAVA based Editor/Randomizer for SN-S tone

I'm still testing it... but I curious for your opinions...

I'm plane a similar to the PCMS tones too...

Regards!
LiPI
Skijumptoes

Re: Working PC Editor for SN-S tone

Post by Skijumptoes »

Looks great mate, i would love to see a single screen view too, i.e. with the most used parameters on the one screen compressed together, or the ability to pop those Osc/Filter/Amp etc. tabs out into their own windows simultaneously would work.

Also the randomise functions are cool too, but it would be good if they were restricted in a way that you could chose if they affected tuneful parameters like the pitch/fine/coarse tunings - i.e. only allow it to randomise the pitch in octaves for example if the 'keep in tune' option is selected?

If you need a Mac tester, i'm happy to try, is the Midi device control a low level function of Java too? If so it could be hopeful of working!

Also, if it's of any help i work with SQL/MySQL databases if you ever considered building some kind of librarian function into this and wanted in-app patch uploading/downloading for the community - just give me a shout.
lipi

Post by lipi »

Skijumptoes wrote:Looks great mate, i would love to see a single screen view too, i.e. with the most used parameters on the one screen compressed together, or the ability to pop those Osc/Filter/Amp etc. tabs out into their own windows simultaneously would work.

Also the randomise functions are cool too, but it would be good if they were restricted in a way that you could chose if they affected tuneful parameters like the pitch/fine/coarse tunings - i.e. only allow it to randomise the pitch in octaves for example if the 'keep in tune' option is selected?

If you need a Mac tester, i'm happy to try, is the Midi device control a low level function of Java too? If so it could be hopeful of working!
Thanks!
Yes the low level MIDI device control is part of JAVA, so you only have to take care about the data to send and the opening/closing the given MIDI port.
I thought about separeted randomizers or presets buttons (for keys, pads, etc.) for the Envelopes but the "keep in tune" option is also a good idea!
I have to test some things yet, but if it's correctly work for me, I'm happy to accept your offer about OSX testing...
I'll thinking about the pop windows (the official KORG RADIAS Editor is working in this way) instead of tabs structure... in first round I wanted to keep in the instrument's structure and displays philosophy ...
lipi

Post by lipi »

I did the first test today with FA connected. It was very successfull ! There is some minor problem but overally it's work on my Windows 10 x64 both the manual editing and the randomizer functions...
frank123

Post by frank123 »

Hi,

is it possible to store the settings on the PC to share them with others?

Frank
lipi

Post by lipi »

frank123 wrote:Hi,

is it possible to store the settings on the PC to share them with others?

Frank
I don't have any information about the FA's svd file format. So now the only one possibility by me the sysex file format read/write ability. I plan that feature to develop....
frank123

Post by frank123 »

lipi wrote:So now the only one possibility by me the sysex file format read/write ability. I plan that feature to develop....
Sounds great, I'd be happy to test this editor.

Frank
brakjoller

Post by brakjoller »

lipi wrote:Hi there!

I know, it's low cost ...
It's ugly...
And not nice at all...
but works on PC/Windows10x64!
It's need an installed JRE8 or above on your system... and nothing else. I can't test it on OSX, but there is some chance to work on MAC too, becouse the low level parts of the application are JAVA/operating system routines...

Here is a little demonstration video:
JAVA based Editor/Randomizer for SN-S tone

I'm still testing it... but I curious for your opinions...

I'm plane a similar to the PCMS tones too...

Regards!
LiPI
Looks really great! Don't worry about the looks. The most important thing to users is that it is useful, and it already seems to be. You have some good base functionality there and with some tweaks and suggestions from your users it will be really useful, I'm sure.

As a side note, there is a similar project going on for the JD-Xi, and it has been going for a while. It's really nice. I wonder how much these two projects could share, if you wanted to. I would guess that most of the SN-S stuff is more or less the same (I own both synths), just with different addresses for the different parameters. In a way, I feel there is some waste doing both projects where there could be only one, just with a different set of addresses and available settings. Most of it is the same, otherwise. Imagine an editor that could work with both synths, how could would that be? :)

Have a look in the JD-Xi forum:

viewtopic.php?f=58&t=52354

Keep up the good work!
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Does the JD-XI have parts? That's the main difference, as when i made an editor (Or rather a plugin that could be mapped to midi CC's), with the FA you can directly control tone edits on a per-part basis, so the SysEx string changes as a result.

In use i realised that i had set everything up for Part 1 only, and really wish i put a Part 1-16 selector in, and then lost heart in doing any more as it was all hardcoded SysEx strings! :)
lipi

Post by lipi »

Skijumptoes wrote: In use i realised that i had set everything up for Part 1 only, and really wish i put a Part 1-16 selector in, and then lost heart in doing any more as it was all hardcoded SysEx strings! :)
In my editor will be there a combo box with Part numbers. It's will determine the all sysex's address part... so you will can use it for all parts... ;-)
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

...you may become everyone's favourite user here LiPL. :)
lipi

Post by lipi »

Thanks for frank123 he did test on Linux successfully ! :-)
lipi

Post by lipi »

I don't stopped the developing :)

Now the editor
- can read sysex files even if there are studio set parameters too before the SN-S parameters;
- can write out to sysex file the SN-S parameters;
- can "INITIALIZE" the studio set for factory "INIT STUDIO SET";
- can "INITIALIZE" the SN-S tone for factory "INIT TONE";
- can handle/edit all parameters of a SN-S sound;
- run on Windows and Linus systems;

I'm still working on before public:
- adjust display to the read parameters;
- tone category selector;
- phrase selector;
- tone MFX... (it's a hard nut to programming)
- getting tone parameters from the FA...
- to enable the tone choosing for edit if the sysex file has more then one tones;
locojohn

Post by locojohn »

lipi wrote:I don't stopped the developing :)
Can your editor be downloaded anywhere? How can I test it on a Mac?

Thanks,
Andrejs
lipi

Post by lipi »

locojohn wrote:
Can your editor be downloaded anywhere? How can I test it on a Mac?

Thanks,
Andrejs
It tested on MAC.
It doesn't work on MAC, because the MAC's JAVA implementation does not work correctly.
Sorry.