Roland FA & Korg RADIAS weird Sync problems

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
SynthRolie

Roland FA & Korg RADIAS weird Sync problems

Post by SynthRolie »

I have a Roland FA-08 that I use as the master to handle modules
and that works great except for the Korg RADIAS apparently.

If in the FA the MIDI Sync Output is turned on, the RADIAS patch on Timbre 1
Envelope Sustain changes to 106, and the Portamento value to 36/37 or 31.
Sometimes other parameters change just like that, it seems totally random.
It does not matter which patch I choose on the RADIAS, the problem stays the same

To rule everything out I have connected the FA and RADIAS directly to each so that I am sure
nothing else is sending MIDI and I also removed all pedals and turned off CC's and SysEx on the RADIAS.

I also have MIDI OX installed to see what the FA sends, but the only thing that passes is the MIDI clock.
Tried Master and Remote Sync mode but this doesn't matter also. If I turn Sync Output
on the FA off the RADIAS behaves normal again (on USB Sync also normal).

The RADIAS is a bit useless now because patches suddenly sound distorted,
and I really want to sync it to the MIDI clock of the FA....

Does anyone have any idea what it could be and what I can try?
If someone can help I would be very happy! :)
Skijumptoes

Re: Roland FA & Korg RADIAS wierd Sync problems

Post by Skijumptoes »

Is it possible that those parameters are being controlled via an LFO on your radias? That's the only thing i can think that a midi clock signal would affect.

Also the midi monitoring software, is that monitoring a usb or midi connection? i.e. is it the same connection that your FA is using to communicate with the radias... anything in-between that may causing an issue (Software/DAW etc)? Or are you monitoring usb and in fact using MIDI to the radias? In which case check the cables etc.
SynthRolie

Re: Roland FA & Korg RADIAS weird Sync problems

Post by SynthRolie »

Hello Skijumptoes,

I've monitored the FA through the MIDI in on my Presonus audio interface without any DAW between it.
Also checked if any LFO or modulator is causing it, but nothing to find there. Also it is in any random patch and the same parameters get about the same values in every patch (also in INIT patches).

Even turned off every modulation setting in the silent dummy patch I'm using on the FA, where I already switched all partials off, but to be sure...

I want to use everything stand-alone so everything is connected with midi cables so no USB connections at all.

It's strange...
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Yeah that's really strange, is your radias set specifically to the external midi port for it's clock timing? i.e. not 'auto' or 'usb' etc.
SynthRolie

Post by SynthRolie »

The RADIAS is set to Ext-MIDI, also tried Auto but same problem.
Disconnected USB which I only use with the RADIAS editor.

Also thinking this more of a RADIAS problem than an FA problem because the FA's output looks clean.
I'm not at home right now, but tonight I will keep trying to get it to work normally... keep you posted and
thanks for your help so far! :)
SynthRolie

Post by SynthRolie »

I found it!!

It is the last thing I would think of, but it seems that the RADIAS scans all frontpanel knob settings with each sync message. That is, with the knob settings set on 'Jump', the other mode is 'Catch' and since I tried that setting for the knobs all parameters stay neatly in line :)

I'm glad i found it, thought it was a malfunction because I have it for a long time already.

Thanks for your help anyway! :)
lipi

Post by lipi »

SynthRolie wrote:I found it!!

It is the last thing I would think of, but it seems that the RADIAS scans all frontpanel knob settings with each sync message. That is, with the knob settings set on 'Jump', the other mode is 'Catch' and since I tried that setting for the knobs all parameters stay neatly in line :)

I'm glad i found it, thought it was a malfunction because I have it for a long time already.

Thanks for your help anyway! :)
Wow!
I have RADIAS too next to the FA and I don't get that behavior... Thanks for sharing your experiencies! Now I know what I have to think at first if it's suddanly happen with me! :)
SynthRolie

Post by SynthRolie »

Wow!
I have RADIAS too next to the FA and I don't get that behavior... Thanks for sharing your experiencies! Now I know what I have to think at first if it's suddanly happen with me! :)
You're welcome lipi, it's still an awesome synth, we should treasure it!
And keep up the good work with your FA editor! :)
lipi

Post by lipi »

SynthRolie wrote:
You're welcome lipi, it's still an awesome synth, we should treasure it!
And keep up the good work with your FA editor! :)
Thanks mate! My hands on the project... ;) A lot of MFX panel still in UI state but the essencial parts are working ;) From yesterday on MAC too...

ps.: and offtopic: do you know my RADIASLibrarian? ;)
SynthRolie

Post by SynthRolie »

Not yet, I will give it a try :)