Crossfade sounds

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Airswinger

Crossfade sounds

Post by Airswinger »

Is there a way to crossfade between sounds with one volume pedal? One gets louder and the other quiet? With the Nord stage its very easy, but can I do this with a Roland FA-07?

Airswinger
Skijumptoes

Re: Crossfade sounds

Post by Skijumptoes »

Sorry but i can't think of a way, you would need the same controller (i.e. expressive) to both increase on one channel/part, while decreasing on another channel. I just cannot think how you could separate them to do that.

Really, you're tied to working on a 'per part' basis, and the only cross channel/part control is done via keyboard switching which just echoes the same commands to all the channels/parts selected.

It's a shame as it has many great D-50 sounds available, and the D-50 was renowned for it's vector controls, which is a form of morphing/crossfading.
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

I don t own a fa (yet), maybe soon.

Anyhow, it can be established with tone edit matrix control I believe. (Do it with my fandom x/g like this for a few sounds).

Have a look at the fa parameter guide p. 58 / 59.

Matrix Control (can be set for each partial/tone)
Source is velocity or maybe a cc?? Which is also configured to an assignable knob x
Destination is level.
Sensitivity can be set from -63 to +63 (these determine if the dest.parameter value will dec. or inc. when adjusting the source)
Note :
First sound has max. level configured in tva
Second sound has zero level configured in tva.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

Oh that's partials within a single tone, yes that looks interesting and should work reading your explanation. I've created tones that auto fade the partials via envelopes so it should be no difference really.

I presumed the OP was asking to do the same with two tones, i.e. two SN-S sounds, for example. Or in fact, *any* SN sound as they don't have the same matrix control as PCM. :(
jabberwocky

Post by jabberwocky »

Yes, matrix control seems to be only for pcm tones.

Maybe p.117 in parameter guide can help.
Control the level of a MFX (not all MFX have level as a dest. possible)
with a certain cc. message assigned to the source.
Sensitivity goes also from -63 tot +63 there.

Sorry can t test it (yet ;-) )
skyy19854

Post by skyy19854 »

yes set matrix control to volume partial 1 (pno or whatever) -63 volume partial 2 (horns) to +63 set controller to sustain pedal turn off sustain pedal in tone parameters and turn off the horns partial volume in the tva. Now you have an auto crossfade with the foot switch. pno xfade to horns. Been doing this trick since the 90's