FA-06 - software update or successor?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
tobi77

FA-06 - software update or successor?

Post by tobi77 »

Hello,

what is more likely in 2019: a (last) software update for FA-Series or a successor model or nothing. It is 5 years old and i think the Juno G was discontinued after 4 years.

Or will there be a new entry level Synth with SN-Engine?

I think of buying a used FA-06 but am not sure as i only like the SN-Sounds, the Drums and the effects of it. I wish i could add my own samples to the sound engine like with MOXF or KROSS2.
harmonizer

Re: FA-06 - software update or successor?

Post by harmonizer »

This youtube video shows uploading samples to a Roland FA-06.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iVV9b4pxMY

In case you are considering options on which FA to look at, and are not committed to the idea of an FA-06, I will share that I recently bought an FA-07, and I was advised that most people find the FA-07 keybed to be better than the FA-06.
cda

Post by cda »

It is not possible to use samples in the FA in the way the OP is suggesting.
RoDi

Post by RoDi »

tobi77 wrote:Hello,

what is more likely in 2019: a (last) software update for FA-Series or a successor model or nothing. It is 5 years old and i think the Juno G was discontinued after 4 years.

Or will there be a new entry level Synth with SN-Engine?

I think of buying a used FA-06 but am not sure as i only like the SN-Sounds, the Drums and the effects of it. I wish i could add my own samples to the sound engine like with MOXF or KROSS2.
Take the FA as it is today, don't speculate on any future improvements. May be the Juno-DS is the better instruments for your needs.

Regards,
RoDi
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

cda wrote:It is not possible to use samples in the FA in the way the OP is suggesting.
Is the thing missing in the FA that you cannot apply any effects to any sample you bring into the FA, unlike the SN and PCM sounds?
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

The fa-07 is relatively new still, so I don’t see anything more happening in regards to FA.

It doesn’t feel dated to me, while I’d love to be able to add my own samples in for acoustic instruments, both synth engines are powerful and plenty of flexibility, and the layering options add to that. Plus it doesn’t feel slow or anything.

Right now the Yamaha MODX is top dog in this price range, but has taken a step further from the traditional workstation model of operation.

The big question is, which way do Roland want to take things in regards to what they define as a workstation? The FA could be the last of a generation. Or rather the transition from the Fantom style of workstation.

Would an FA with user sample memory for PCM oscillators, full SN-A engine and a touchscreen be enough to warrant an upgrade?

I think people would like to see ACB in a board like the FA with a touchscreen interface emulating the controls of previous Roland synths (106 etc) I think that’d be a big seller.
tobi77

Post by tobi77 »

I just wonder cause even the Kross 2 has 128 MB sample Ram which you can use with the synth engine. MODX and MOFX have even more. At least they could update the firmware so this feature is available for The FA too. Just my 2 cents. It worked with the Juno-G and DS.
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

I don't think a firmware update is capable of adding this functionality.

To give you an idea of how implausible it all is, Roland couldn't add one of their own EXP expansions without first providing us a system firmware update. (i.e. you can't put EXP-11 on a non-firmware 2.0 FA).

So really, they're not even expansions in the traditional sense as an element of the data (probably waverom index) has to exist in the keyboards ROM already.

The odd thing is you can load up wav files via the sample pads at all kind of lengths and it's quick, yet to use as an oscillator source it seems much more complicated, whether that's due to their compression for SN-S, and/or the technical limitations of PCM-S (i.e. it's many years old now), i really don't know.

From a user perspective it is a bit confusing as to why this is such a hard task, i'd be quite happy with a single sample that pitches across the keyboard and offers some basic ADSR Amp envelope functions on it.
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Hard to say what 2019 will bring, but I guarantee it will bring some new synthesizer product. Gattobus let slip in some off comment that he was testing something for Roland that will come out next year... More likely a successor to the JD-XA than a new workstation though, but who knows!
tobi77

Post by tobi77 »

I like a Roland workstation with 64 voice SN-Sounds + 2x ACB plugouts + 2 GB Flash RAM + 16 track Pattern Sequencer with Parameter Lock and 3 FX per Track and some knobs of course for 1499,00 €.
mangepange

Post by mangepange »

If they will release a new FA in 2019, it will probably be at the NAMM show (24th January). As I remember it, they released the current FA a few days/weeks before winter NAMM.
FPHam

Post by FPHam »

The FA was already build with a lesser workstation functionality than the fantom G was.
It is obvious where the bulk of money are going. The MOXF and MODX are killing it in sales with half the FA workstation functionality.
So they may dumb it down even more and add few more SN categories from integra, make it much more cooperative with ipad - and it would probably sell better than current FA.

I used to have FA-8, sold it after a year messing with it and bought Fantom G6. For whatever I do with it the Fantom G is far more enjoyable (for me) than the FA ever was. The SN sounds on FA are superior out of context but they eat all the polyphony fast and I love to layer big sounds. Few layers of SN sounds and the FA would be note stealing and badly. On G, with no SN sounds, I can create huge wall and dig with all my 10 fingers. Also the SN sounds do not mix that well with non SN sounds. The SN are bright and sharp the non SN and SRX sounds come as dull when mixing them with SN. No issue with G - everything mixes smoothly.
In my own head the Fantom G was the pinnacle of roland workstation idea after which they gave it to the fact that computers and ipads are here to stay.They will never make workstation with all the bells the Fantom G has, that ship sailed.