Unexpected Knob Behaviour WIth External Sequencer?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
rick1234

Unexpected Knob Behaviour WIth External Sequencer?

Post by rick1234 »

Hi, I have started to use the Fa with external Daws for a bit to see how I get on, primarily midi multi track recording for now, however having set local off etc when I select eg midi channel 1 in the daw, if I twist the reverb or chorus knobs the commands seem to get sent to midi channel/sound 1 on the FA but also the other tracks/layers in the machine midi track two etc, been poking around but cannot find a setting that seems to create this behaviour, its the same in Logic and Reason, any one tell me what I am missing please?

Ta
Skijumptoes

Re: Unexpected Knob Behaviour WIth External Sequencer?

Post by Skijumptoes »

Any record enabled or monitored track in a DAW will receive the MIDI messages that you send. Do you have more than one selected?
rick1234

Post by rick1234 »

Hi, thanks for your reply, no only the required track selected, been experimenting a bit more with the FA disconnected from the daw and local on, can you explain the difference between raising the reverb knob or raising the reverb level in the mixer screen as the behaviour is not the same? I am seriously getting fuddled on the various effects elements of this thing...lol
Skijumptoes

Post by Skijumptoes »

One is a Midi CC mapping, the other is SysEX mapping.

Why the difference? Well the mixer uses SysEx so that it can directly control either part directly no matter which part you have selected, whereas the midi CC (sound modify) knobs specifically only control the part you have selected.

‘Which’ part you have selected can become confusing when using with a DAW however, as you could be on part 6 of your studio set but have part 1 selected on the DAW, turn the sound control knob and if you have local ON, it could change both parts 1+6. (Local change is part 6, DAW sends to part 1)

Sometimes it’s best to use DAW mode, really depends on your configuration. But yes, ultimately the FA does require a few hours understanding it’s core structure and working out the best workflow for your setup and how your midi routing is configured.
rick1234

Post by rick1234 »

Hi, thanks, I am going to have to get into the manual properly I think as I am trying to do it all from experience with previous workstations and maybe missing a few tricks, you always seem to reply to threads and help people, nice one guy :-)