Recieving error when trying to write EXP #11, any ideas?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
zazzoo

Recieving error when trying to write EXP #11, any ideas?

Post by zazzoo »

Hey guys my title pretty much explains my issue fully. Im trying to write exp #11 to my fa-08 but everytime i try i recieve and error and im doing everything correct (all the other expansions work). Could the downlosd on the page have a bad file... any ideas?
bennyseven

Re: Recieving error when trying to write EXP #11, any ideas?

Post by bennyseven »

JPJ2

Post by JPJ2 »

Hallo, I have the same problem and the link in this blog is useless. The firmware link is going to another page. There I can read download but there is no link. My roland fa runs version 1.03 and I want to update it first to 2.03 Next I found and downloaded the map from the roland website named fa060708_sys_v203 and there is a file in it called fa_UPA.BIN. Next I copied this file to the usb stick and did everything right.

The roland cannot read the file : no update file! (the file is on the usb stick for sure)

And if I try to copy the EXP11.bin file to slot 2 : ERROR !! (ENTER:Retry)

The files are on the usb stick for sure and I done this before, what now?
Candy

Post by Candy »

To upgrade it to the version 2.03, the .bin-File must be in the root-folder of the USB-Stick. Best is, to take a absolutly empty stick and copy only the bin-File on it. Then follow the instructions:

How to update
Please install the system program " FA_UPA.BIN " to the FA-06 / FA-07 / FA-08 by following the process below.

Important notice: Never turn the FA-06 / FA-07 / FA-08 off during the update process, or FA-06 / FA-07 / FA-08 won't reboot correctly any more.

Copy the update-use file ( FA_UPA.BIN ) to the root directory of the USB Flash Memory.
Make sure the unit's power is switched off, then connect the USB Flash Memory device to the USB FOR UPDATE port.
Hold down the [ WRITE ] button and switch on the power.
When the message "= Update Mode =" appears, release the button.
The update starts.
* The update process takes several minutes to finish. Be sure never to switch off the power before the operation finishes.
When the message "===== update finished. =====" is displayed, the operation has finished. (You will take about 3 minutes to update.)
Switch off the power.
Detach the USB Flash Memory, then switch on the power to the unit and verify that the version has been updated.

Now install the EXP 11:

+ Usage

1. Copy the downloaded file (EXP**.bin) to the root directory of the USB memory.

2. Plug the USB memory into USB FOR UPDATE connector.

3. While pressing the [PREVIEW] button, turn on the power.
Hold the [PREVIEW] button until the FA boots in Wave Update Mode.

4. The screen will display the file names corresponding to the pad numbers.
For example, if you only have EXP11.bin in your USB memory, you will see 01:EXP11.bin on the screen.
01 is pad number 1, 02 is pad number 2, and so on.

5. There are two wave expansion slots. First, press one of the pads to select the wave expansion data for slot 1.
For example, if you only have EXP11.bin in your USB memory, press pad 1 to select EXP11.bin.
If you have more than one EXP file, press the pad number that is displayed on the screen.

6. When you press one of the pads, it will show the EXP name.
For example, [SLOT1] -> [EXP-11: Analog/Digital Vintage Synth Collection]

7. The import procedure for slot 2 is the same as slot 1.
If you do not want to load anything to slot 2, press the [EXIT] button.

8. When the screen displays "Are you sure?", press the [ENTER] button to load the sounds.
If you would like to start over, press the [EXIT] button.
If you decide not to load any sounds, turn off the power.

9. When the FA-06/FA-07/FA-08 is loading the sounds, "Writing..." will be displayed on the screen.
It will take approximately three minutes to load per slot.
When the FA-06/FA-07/FA-08 is done loading the sounds, "Complete" will be displayed on the screen.

10. Reboot the FA-06/FA-07/FA-08.

Thats it!

Link for the 2.03-Update: https://www.roland.com/us/support/by_pr ... 09f002dcb/ (Press Download File on the Bottom)
After downloading the ZIP-File, extract the .bin-File to your USB-Stick!

Link for the EXP11: http://axial.roland.com/articles/exp-11 ... ollection/

Candy
xirailuyo

Post by xirailuyo »

I am running into the same problem: The roland cannot read the file : no update file!

The file is on the root directory of the usb drive. The keyboard is also not detecting sound libraries on a usb drive. I don't know what to do. I have tried everything that is listed.
neomad

Post by neomad »

Did you try with a different USB flash?
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

Yes, it could be the USB flash drive. I had bought one specifically for my FA and it never worked. Then I used another on that I had at the office. Cleared it and put the files on it and it worked. I’m not sure what the exact issue is, but there are certainly non compatible USB flash drives.
tchelomgf

Post by tchelomgf »

xirailuyo wrote: 18:28, 28 March 2022 I am running into the same problem: The roland cannot read the file : no update file!
You must have firmware version 2.03, are you?