Play Studio Set With External Midi Controller

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
TechoDunce

Play Studio Set With External Midi Controller

Post by TechoDunce »

Hi

I have an FA06 which when I gig I use a StudioLogic SL73 to play piano/electric piano stuff as I like a weighted action for these. My question is, is there a way to play an entire studio set with the midi controller without setting it up to play the channels individually? In essence just bypassing the FA06’s own keyboard?

Also, if I play a channel that has Arpeggiator on the FA06 vía the controller, the individual channel sounds but doesn’t arpeggiate. ???

I’m a guitarist by trade so please forgive the ignorance.
bennyseven

Re: Play Studio Set With External Midi Controller

Post by bennyseven »

set REMOTE KEYBOARD to ON (system settings).
stevel

Post by stevel »

Have you tried using the Pads to turn the Keyboard Switch on/off.

I think maybe you could put all 16 parts on Channel 1, and then toggle the Kbd switch on/off for any given Part and that should be the only one that plays - though I may be wrong and the Kbd Switch is only for the internal keyboard - but the Remote On function may also help with that.
bennyseven

Post by bennyseven »

Steve, this is indeed a possible option. But in this case the individual key zones of the parts will be lost and must be set up in the external Midi controller. And afaik the arpeggios couldn't be triggered.
So, remote keyboard mode is the right way to play the FA in the same way you would play on its own keys.
But it is no problem if you don't have keyboard zones and arps.

Off topic: I ran into many problems years before as I tried to combine the FA (same with X6 before) with a NORD ELECTRO 3. I wanted to play both keyboards with their own sounds AND mixed (Nord should play FA part and FA should play Nord sounds). So remote keyboard mode is the wrong way (even Nord Electro is not multi timbral).
My solution was to play the FA from the Nord on one midi channel (11) and set to all the desired PARTs of the FA to this channel. PART zones are lost, so I programmed the TONEs to have their key zones on an TONE basis (unfortunately not possible with SN tones). To play the Nord from the FA is easy, where you have to set a PART to channel 11) and use the zone as set up on the FA.
TechoDunce

Post by TechoDunce »

bennyseven wrote:set REMOTE KEYBOARD to ON (system settings).
Brilliant, perfect thanks. I was looking in there but under keyboard and couldn't find it. Works like a charm, with ALL the same functionality.

Thank's yo you all for coming back to me.