FA-06 with PK-5?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Zuurg

FA-06 with PK-5?

Post by Zuurg »

Hello,

I just got a PK-5 hoping to use it while playing guitar.

I have it connected properly and have the Remote Keyboard set to On. So the pedals work. Here's the issue:

When I select the "Bass" option on the PK-5, it transmits the information on MIDI ch 2.
When I select the "Poly" option on the PK-5, it transmits on MIDI ch 1
When I select the "Drums" option on the PK-5, it transmits on MIDI ch 10
When I select the "Sound Effects" it transmits on MIDI ch 11.

I've checked the PK-5 and restored it to it's factory defaults.

My issue is that after having created a new Studio Set with the correct instruments set up on their respective channels, the PK-5 plays the notes for the currently highlighted tone, regardless of the mode the PK-5 is set to.

Does anyone know how to get this set up properly so that I can switch between the different modes on the PK and have it play the correct instrument?
harmonizer

Re: FA-06 with PK-5?

Post by harmonizer »

I use my PK-5a with my FA-07. I had to set up the keyboard splits by establishing different splits in the Studio Set itself, and had to change my PK-5a settings to octave 0. The reason I needed to do this is that I have some songs where I use keys pressed on my FA-07 keyboard, in addition to using noises generated by pressing keys on the PK-5a. And with the FA-07 studio set, I need to do everything on MIDI channel 1 - this is a limitation in the Studio Set setup, compared to what was possible in the older XV family. By moving my PK-5a down to octave 0, I can prevent having the PK-5a keys from triggering anything in the regular keyboard range.

In general, my PK-5a remembers the "octave 0" configuration across power off and on. But every once in a while this config setup gets forgotten - sometimes while setting up for a gig. So I taped the instructions on a small while card onto a place on my PK-5a with the 2-3 steps needed to re-establish the octave 0 setting.
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

I use my PK-5a with my FA-07. I had to set up the keyboard splits by establishing different splits in the Studio Set itself, and had to change my PK-5a settings to octave 0. The reason I needed to do this is that I have some songs where I use keys pressed on my FA-07 keyboard, in addition to using noises generated by pressing keys on the PK-5a. And with the FA-07 studio set, I need to do everything on MIDI channel 1 - this is a limitation in the Studio Set setup, compared to what was possible in the older XV family. By moving my PK-5a down to octave 0, I can prevent having the PK-5a keys from triggering anything in the regular keyboard range.

In general, my PK-5a remembers the "octave 0" configuration across power off and on. But every once in a while this config setup gets forgotten - sometimes while setting up for a gig. So I taped the instructions on a small white card onto a place on my PK-5a that is not visible from the audience with the 2-3 steps needed to re-establish the octave 0 setting.
Zuurg

Post by Zuurg »

How do you figure everything has to be done on MIDI channel 1? My understanding from the manual, videos, and part settings is that each of the 16 parts gets its own midi channel.

And when I checked the PK-5 midi output using Midi ox, it’s also working as designed.
JunoJohn

Post by JunoJohn »

Is your FA-07's Remote Keyboard Switch on? If so, turn it off.
Zuurg

Post by Zuurg »

It was on. When I turn it off, pressing the PK-5’s pedals creates no sound at all in any of the modes.

PK-5 still generating required MIDI data though.
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

More discussion can be found here: https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 55&t=54477
This is a regression in the FA-06/07/08 compared to the earlier XV family.
This is why I had to set my PK-5a to use Octave 0 after I upgraded from an XV-5050 to an FA-07.
Zuurg

Post by Zuurg »

Thanks Harmonizer.

It seems like the FA-06 is not working as intended where I can send notes to the different midi channels to affect the different parts of my Studio Set while having the remote Keyboard switch off.

I tried something else yesterday using the FA-06 and a GR-55 to send note information to the keyboard from my guitar. With the Remote Keyboard switch set to on, I was able to play whatever instrument was highlighted in my Studio Set with the guitar. When I turned the Remote Keyboard Switch off, no sounds were produced by the FA-06.

So..... that doesn't seem right to me? Especially since Roland Support told me to turn the switch off for the PK-5.
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

In case you end up making the same choice that I did, to set your PK-5 to use MIDI channel 1, I'll mention that you can use the octave shift and the the pitch shift together, to cause those "low" keys to trigger notes that are either 4 or 5 octaves higher.

The FA-0x is incredibly flexible at allowing custom splits, if you have the patience and desire to enter them. I have even gone so far as to create Studio Sets that fire off a chord of 3 notes by pressing just one key with my foot (such splits are highly customized, and usable on only a single song). You can't see the PK-5a in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAg9wNFSG2k), but you can hear the trombone and bari sax noises I create during the last 30 seconds of the song.
Zuurg

Post by Zuurg »

Love that song, great job!

So in your set up, do you have the PK-5's Bass, Poly, and Drums all set to MIDI ch 1? How do you have the keyboard split?

Is your Remote Keyboard Switch set to On for this? Sorry about all the questions, I just want this thing to work before my wife starts asking me why I bought it. haha
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

Yes, I do have the Remote Keyboard Switch set on. This is necessary in order to do what I need, using the external MIDI controller (the PK-5a footpedal MIDI controller). In the "Studio Set Common" settings, I also have the "Keyboard Mode" set to "Studio Set".

In the other thread I referenced earlier, the user "Candy" made a post on December 28 2017 which explained how the FA-06/07/08 keyboards behave, with regard to using splits with an external MIDI controller.