Control Anything With EC-5 Expression

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
TechoDunce

Control Anything With EC-5 Expression

Post by TechoDunce »

Hi

I'd like to be able to control anything/everything with a new EV-5 pedal I have just bought, but I can't get past the basics/master volume. In an ideal world I would like the expression pedal to:

1. If not assigned to any other parameter - act as a volume pedal
2. Be able to adjust individual parameters within a selected sound in a studio set - for example rotary speed on an organ, chorus/vibrato on an electric piano, resonance on a synth.

I have read all the stuff on pedals in the manual, but there's not much info there. I have looked at YouTube and the only video on there is about shifting between studio sets. There are a couple of description on how to set up auto wah and rotary speed out there, but I can't get either to work. There seem to be settings all over the place which are to do with pedals, but I'm very confused.

What is the hierarchy?

Any help greatly appreciated.
RoDi

Re: Control Anything With EC-5 Expression

Post by RoDi »

I recommend to start the controller topic on a studio set level, because only the PCM-engine of the FA has a comprehensive controller matrix (which means you can assign many parameters to different controllers).

In studio set mode go to into the 'Studio Common' settings. The interesting tabs are 'Pedal', 'S1/S2' and 'Knob'. On these tabs switch the 'Knob assign source' to 'studio'. This makes shure that you can store and recall the controller assignments on a studio set basis.

First you have to decide which controller message the EV-5 will send. By default it is CC11 'Expression' when plugged into 'Pedal 1'. 'Expression' is often mistaken as 'Volume' (which is CC7), because many patch programmers are too lame to be innovative here. In contrast, a good example for the use of 'Expression' are the FA string sound, where the overall sound is influenced, not only Volume.

Another interesting option is, to assign Pedal1 to 'Aftertouch' (at the very end of the controller list). Try the sound 'TRUE Analog' (PCM-0271). I like this effect very much!

Third, using 'Modulation' on the pedal might also be interesting. Depending, how busy you are, the joystick might not always be reachable. And the Pedal does not snap back like the joystick.

If you like, you can assign Expression, Aftertouch and Modulation to 3 of the assignable knobs and walk through the factory patches to evaluate how your favorite sounds react on these controllers.

Next floor: MFX-Control

Many parameters of the MFXs can be controlled via CCs. Roland is not very consitent what controller does what. Not even the direction (e.g. fast to slow or vice versa in the rotary patches) is common within the patches.

Typically you use CCs of the 80..89 range, which are denoted as user specific CCs in the MIDI specs. You find that S1/S2 are assigned to this numbers by default and the MFX-Controls react ont these CCS. Look into the Organ patches, how rotary speed is assigned.

It is no problem to assign the same CC-numbers to different physical controls like a switch and the pedal. Usually the last sent message will dominate, however some times it might be a little confusing. As well it is no problem to assign several parameters to the same controller. E.g. I like to add a little gain of the rotary emulation with the expression pedal. Use the 'Sens..' setting to select in which direction and how strong the parameter reacts to controller movement. High numbers (positive or negative) are nice to test the function, however lower numbers feel often much more natural. It really depends.

Hope this gives you an entry into the huge territory of realtime control of your sounds. Remember that it is always a 2-step process. First decide what message the physical device will send. Second which parameter will react on this specific contoller message. Next floor is using the switches and assigable knobs in additon, also great fun.

Regards,
RoDi
nathbeadle

Post by nathbeadle »

RoDi,

FANTSTIC POST, thanks for the great insight and just enough to wet the appetite for some exploration with my expression pedal!!
TechoDunce

Post by TechoDunce »

Thanks RoDi

That's a fantastic place to start and I'm already having some success. I love the expression on Strings and with Organ sounds too. Going to try bringing in modulation using the pedal instead of the mod/bend stick.

Cheers

Mark