Recieve Midi Channel ?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
nirsul

Recieve Midi Channel ?

Post by nirsul »

Hi all !

I am a FA06 user for the last 5 years. Never had issues with MIDI and FA06 but I ran into this issue:

I am trying to control the FA from an external Keyboard (and daw). I am using 3 external synths and they are connected with MIDI and not USB.
My problem is -
My Korg synth (used as keyboard controller) is set to receive in Ch 1 - When played with my controller Keyboard - I only hear it.
My MODX7 is set to receive in Ch2 - When played with my controller Keyboard - I only hear it.
I tried setting the FA to Ch3 but it recieves in all channels which make it unusable for me.
- When played with my controller Keyboard - I hear it and the controller ...

Where can I set it to only one RX channel.
I am not trying to use it as a multi sound setup.

THX
Emmerson

Re: Recieve Midi Channel ?

Post by Emmerson »

Create the Midi channels in a studio set to what you want to receive on.
Each channel can be set to a midi channel.
anotherscott

Post by anotherscott »

nirsul wrote:I am trying to control the FA from an external Keyboard (and daw). I am using 3 external synths and they are connected with MIDI and not USB.
My problem is -
My Korg synth (used as keyboard controller) is set to receive in Ch 1 - When played with my controller Keyboard - I only hear it.
My MODX7 is set to receive in Ch2 - When played with my controller Keyboard - I only hear it.
I tried setting the FA to Ch3 but it recieves in all channels which make it unusable for me.
- When played with my controller Keyboard - I hear it and the controller ...

Where can I set it to only one RX channel.
I am not trying to use it as a multi sound setup.
I think what you need to do is just make sure no FA sound is assigned to channels 1 or 2. Either by muting Parts 1 and 2 of a Studio Set, or by changing Parts 1 and 2 to some channels other than their default 1 and 2. Then you should not hear the FA when you are sending MIDI on channels 1 or 2.
axf

Post by axf »

Hi all,
I got a similar problem:
I use a Keystep Pro with 4-sequencer tracks as my master.
I hooked up a drum machine and two synths as slaves on tracks 1, 2 and 4 via the respective midi-out channel (1, 2, 4) and everything works fine.
Now I tried to hook up my FA-06 as a slave to track / channel 3 and it does not work as I want it to.
Obviously there is no global midi receive channel available on the FA-06 - when toggle "remote keyboard" is on the FA receives from all (16) incoming midi-channels.
Unfortunately muting parts etc. in PARTS VIEW does not help at all...
Can anybody help - had a very frustrating night and day...
8)
Thanks in advance!
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Go to Part View/ Midi RX Filter page. RX stands for receive midi. Turn off all the channels that you don't want to sound when midi is input on it. So just leave channel 3 on and it will ignore midi received on other channels.Lea ve remote keyboard alone/off.
fonkyzeus

Re: Recieve Midi Channel to play all the studio set stack?

Post by fonkyzeus »

Hi !
On Korg that I use too, for example, you ve got programs and "multi". In a "Multi", you can specify on the synth a midi chanel wich plays at the same time all the programs stacked in the multi.
I control FA06 sound with an Alesis Vortex 2 for some pieces. I would like to play not only a chanel of the studio set but all the chanel programed wich compose one sound.
How to do it ?
Bests regards
fonkyzeus

Post by fonkyzeus »

OK ! I found : first panel of Part View/Level Pan, last parameter on the right, you can choose the RX channel for each voice.
It brings me to another question : what is the global midi channel and where to parameter it ?

In order to control the global volume of the synth, you should send a CC7 midi parameter. If I choose the channel where my parts/sounds are, it works, but it put each part assigned to that channel are putted to the same volume level when controlled by an outside keyboard.
I need to keep the difference level of each part.
Thats why, for example on Nord Stage 2 we ve got a midi global channel where we control the CC7 volume midi message for the whole synth.

It's surely possible on the FA06 ... but where ?
fonkyzeus

Post by fonkyzeus »

OK found it again for thoses who would have the same problem/question : send CC11 (expression) and note CC7 (volume) on the channel where the parts are. It will change the volume proportionaly of their initial volume and so, keep the difference between each one.