Suggestion on what to replace the FA with?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
dimtira

Suggestion on what to replace the FA with?

Post by dimtira »

Hi guys,
I've been with the FA for a few years now, and I'm a bit disappointed overall. I mean the program sounds are absolutely AMAZING, and clearly the best I have used in a while, but the other features let it down. A few things which I wish were better
  • Only one arpeggio per studio set - seems to be seriously limiting my creativity
  • Lack of dedicated arp/drum track key - I hate that I need to switch to rhythm pattern menu before triggering the track
  • Roundabout way of creating custom drum track patterns - I figured out how, but it's still so intuitive
  • Really poor keybed - I mean, I didn't expect 88 note weighted action, but the FA-06 keys are terrible.

What I'm looking for in a keyboard (as you would have guessed by now) is a feature set that's halfway between a workstation and arranger. While I dont really need "backing band" or "one man band" kind of arranger features, but something that allows seamless movement in the musical scenes. For e.g. a simple bass arpeggio to begin the intro, which then moves into a bass and a EP arp in the verse with more complex drum tracks following along. Something that is performance friendly and helps inspire me.

The Korg Khronos checks all the boxes, and I am very familiar with Korg's "Combi" layout. Unfortunately the Khronos is $3000 plus! I also looked at high-end arrangers of both Korg and Roland but they seem to be limited... The Korg arrangers have great performance features, but the sounds are (IMHO) nowhere near their flagships. The Roland arrangers have great sounds (again, IMHO) but seem to lack the flexible performance features.
What would the forum suggest I replace my current FA06 with? Are there arrangers with workstation-like sounds? Are there workstations in the mid-range with arranger-like features?
Paul99

Re: Suggestion on what to replace the FA with?

Post by Paul99 »

Before you abandon your FA-06, consider my remarks here: viewtopic.php?f=55&t=57679.
You cannot compare a synth that costs about €1000 with a synth that is about €3000. That's not right.

Sound-wise, I think the FA is good enough to cover all the bread and butter you need. If you need special piano's, organs or else, you should buy a specialized keyboard. A dedicated piano, (hammond)-organ or synth.

You could consider adding a small laptop to your gear like I did. It can give you extra sounds but also extra features like the ones you want to have. It is way cheaper than buying a new synth! A cheap (freeware?) DAW could already offer all the features you need. Or a dedicated arpeggiator software program, which definitely would have more features than a hardware workstation could offer.

The keyboard of the FA-06 is indeed not very good. But if your wishes could be solved with a laptop, than you could consider upgrading to an FA-07 which definitely has a better keyboard although still not top notch which is, as I said earlier, also not possible for this price. You could consider an FA-08, but than you must be in need of a good piano. And mind you, the cheaper Korg and Yamaha keyboards have the same shortcomings considering keyboard quality.

So my guess is that the FA is stil a great keyboard with very much variety in sounds. You have to consider the price and take it for the value it has for this price. If you really want/need more, than you have to pay for it. For me that was not an option, but maybe for you it is.
stevel

Post by stevel »

dimtira wrote:Hi guys,

[*]Only one arpeggio per studio set - seems to be seriously limiting my creativity
[*]Lack of dedicated arp/drum track key - I hate that I need to switch to rhythm pattern menu before triggering the track
[*]Roundabout way of creating custom drum track patterns - I figured out how, but it's still so intuitive
Yeah, but this is really a "Synthesizer". It's got "Workstation" features, but it's not a DAW nor a flagship workstation. These things you're asking for - you don't really have traditional synths that do these things so it would be kind of unusual for this to do it - especially in this price range.

I would do everything you're talking about in a DAW. Much bigger screen, much more intuitive to do it.
Really poor keybed - I mean, I didn't expect 88 note weighted action, but the FA-06 keys are terrible.
Now, this, it absolutely makes it basically a piece of junk. It's a GREAT sound module, but it's not that great as a keyboard. I use it all the time live, but I'd rather have something else.e
What I'm looking for in a keyboard (as you would have guessed by now) is a feature set that's halfway between a workstation and arranger. While I dont really need "backing band" or "one man band" kind of arranger features, but something that allows seamless movement in the musical scenes. For e.g. a simple bass arpeggio to begin the intro, which then moves into a bass and a EP arp in the verse with more complex drum tracks following along. Something that is performance friendly and helps inspire me.
Maschine?
The Korg Khronos checks all the boxes, and I am very familiar with Korg's "Combi" layout. Unfortunately the Khronos is $3000 plus! I also looked at high-end arrangers of both Korg and Roland but they seem to be limited... The Korg arrangers have great performance features, but the sounds are (IMHO) nowhere near their flagships. The Roland arrangers have great sounds (again, IMHO) but seem to lack the flexible performance features.
What would the forum suggest I replace my current FA06 with? Are there arrangers with workstation-like sounds? Are there workstations in the mid-range with arranger-like features?
If you have a computer, get Reaper, for free, learn it, and all the stuff you want is right there, and you still have all the sounds from the FA. Then get a controller, because you'll probably want one anyway, and get a better keybed.

I agree that an "all in one" kind of solution would be ideal and I can see why you'd want that, but besides Arrangers and Workstations kind of being still being two different animals and you wanting some features of each - making that unlikely - you're talking about serious money.

Every time I come up with an FA shortcoming, I have to say, "yeah, but it was only $$$". And since I'm working in DAWs anyway and already had a controller, it's been a great solution for me.

I wish the 76 was out when I bought mine - I would have gone for it in a heartbeat. I really wish I got the 88, but transport and space was an issue. So I got stuck with one of the worst keybeds on one of the best instruments in history.

But those features you're looking at, yeah, unless you have an alternate way to do them, I don't think you're going to be satisfied with one piece of gear (aside from a DAW) and none that inexpensive.
dimtira

Post by dimtira »

Thanks for the replies, @stevel, @Paul99.
I'm not trying to say the FA is not good - just that it does not meet my requirements.
I do use a DAW - currently Garage Band which came with my Mac, but have used Pro Tools in the past. But yeah, I'm not really a professional, so I dont have a DAW hooked up to the keyboard all the time. I will try this though - I image what you both are suggesting is that I assign MIDI output on the DAWs to certain MIDI channels on the FA? And then add an arpeggiator plugin to that MIDI channel in the DAW?
RoDi

Post by RoDi »

If you like the sounds, keep the FA.

Did you every think of using a Looper or Beatbox like an MC-707, MPC, Digitakt etc. as sidekick to the FA. Personally I use a Novation Circuit connected via MIDI as a little step and pattern sequencer. Though still limited, it works very well and intuitive for me. I expect one of those bigger devices like MPC one etc. would be a real boost.

Of course this does not help for the poor keybed. ;)

Regards,
RoDi
sequencepro

Post by sequencepro »

Try the Korg PA1000. I’m a diehard Roland guy. In fact I own a FA06 and FA08. But after needing something similar to the OP, I spend an enormous amount of time researching the features of the $1500-$2500 range keyboards and bought a Korg PA1000. I definitely didn’t like the piano sounds, but painlessly downloaded much better piano sounds for free.
Because I just couldn’t believe that Korg could make a better product than Roland, I also bought a Roland EA-7, but it is not nearly as intuitive to use and didn’t have my go to Roland sounds. It pains me to admit this because, after owning an X3, a N364, and a Triton, I virtually wrote Korg products off as substandard in the sound department. But the Korg is just as intuitive as the Yamaha arrangers, but with easier deep editing possibilities.
I currently own 28 Roland keyboards, controllers, modules, etc. Including Roland’s latest “flagship” arranger, but IMHO the Korg PA1000 is a very useful and easy-to-use keyboard if you have to cover key bass and keyboard parts simultaneously (Especially if you download the free higher-quality C-5 piano sounds)
axenomorph

Post by axenomorph »

As an alternative to Korg Krome (drum track + arpeggio, combo, touch screen, joystick, you can make 1 sample for the entire keyboard). I've been using Krome for 3 years.
neomad

Post by neomad »

I replaced my FA06 with... a FA07 and keybed is amazing. I have been using Krome, but keybed was even worst than FA06... not to mention how limited is (just a rompler with a very, very nice sequencer) even though it sounded nice and round.
neomad

Post by neomad »

Now checking... I do play in several bands, and one is about disco/dance music whereas we use a lot of backing tracks (specially those songs that were played by 10 musicians on the 70s). Is an arranger a good solution for it? today we use a macbook pro... with my FA07 + Nord Stage 3
tchelomgf

Post by tchelomgf »

neomad wrote: 11:58, 22 December 2021 Now checking... I do play in several bands, and one is about disco/dance music whereas we use a lot of backing tracks (specially those songs that were played by 10 musicians on the 70s). Is an arranger a good solution for it? today we use a macbook pro... with my FA07 + Nord Stage 3
If you bring a PC to stage, keep all work on it, much more flexible and powerful. If you do not want to use PC, go for an arranger like PA1000, Tyros,...
neomad

Post by neomad »

Obrigado !