FA-06 PC connection questions

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
patalex2020

FA-06 PC connection questions

Post by patalex2020 »

Hello!

I have had a FA-06 for the past 4 years and have always just used the onboard sequencer to record. Recently I've been looking to record via a software DAW (I have downloaded Cakewalk by Bandlab and have Pro-Tools First and Ableton Lite that I got as downloads with a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen I recently purchased). My question is how do I hook it all up? I'm a total newbie to software DAW's and connecting so sorry if this is really basic stuff. I was hoping to also use the FA as a midi controller keyboard to connect to my PC laptop (running Windows 10) via USB to play VST plugin instruments but also to record the sounds of the FA via MIDI or audio into one of the DAW's. Do I need any additional cables and/or interfaces as I haven't a clue how best to hook it all up. Any help or advice would be really appreciated. Thanks all!
9blackoranges

Re: FA-06 PC connection questions

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi,

Where should you start? We all will probably say something different.

I would suggest you start by setting up the FA06 with Ableton DAW on your PC. There are many videos on line showing setting up and using this combination. Getting to be comfortable with using the two together both with midi and audio methods.

Again, to start, I would not use the DAW control on the FA06. Using DAW control lets the FA06 carry out more function s directly controlling the DAW programme, such as start playing, stop playing. Learn and use these first within the DAW by using the PC/mouse first. When your comfortable with that, then move onto the DAW control option as shown in the second video'

Videos such as:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8xOy90AkpY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUxfGI3 ... dio=1&t=51

When you are comfortable with using the DAW and the FA. View the focus rite web site with videos showing how to use and set it up.

You could then dabble with the other 2 DAW options you have to decide which you want to continue running with.
patalex2020

Post by patalex2020 »

Thanks very much for this 9blackoranges. This is really helpful. Much appreciated.
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

If you do start with FA06 and Ableton it is critical you set up the Preferences in Ableton for audio and midi first.

Good luck
McDEATH

Post by McDEATH »

patalex2020 wrote: 11:56, 11 January 2021 Thanks very much for this 9blackoranges. This is really helpful. Much appreciated.
One thing to know is

Abeleton Lite ...only 6 Tracks ...? I mean 6 Tracks not more possible!?

Pro Tools First... only 16 Tracks, only on Board FX

With "BandLab, Cakewalk you got in my Opinion the Best Solution, Cakewalk/ Bandlab has NO Limitations
and its FREE you get FREE Updates and you get bunch of FX and you able to load your own VST/ VSTi FX or Instruments!