Foot pedal plays note

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
BenRoland

Foot pedal plays note

Post by BenRoland »

Has anyone ever created a trigger pedal that can send a note to the keyboard. Is it possible?

Why am I asking this... I want to use a pedal like a bass drum... instead of programming a beat, to give a more natural spontaneous feel to a kick.

Thanks in advance for your help.

FA07.
9blackoranges

Re: Foot pedal plays note

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi,

Cant comment on use of a simple 'pedal' to trigger a kick note on the keyboard but would suggest you look at a Studio Logic foot pedal keyboard which would give you loads more options and capabilities for just over £300.

It is a full octave midi 'base pedal' keyboard that plugs into the midi in on the FA 07.

In its simplest mode it will let you play one note pedal for kick drum operation solely. However, as a drumming tool you can add snare to do give a dual kick/snare rhythm, or as you get better...a full dual feet drum solo using 13 different sounds/instruments.

You can also use it for any other track to add additional sounds/patches, or even trigger pad sounds!

Just a thought...many more options... and designed to take the hammering of repetitive foot action.
BenRoland

Post by BenRoland »

Wow, is this pretty easy to set up? I have a Behringer FCB1010 and its a nightmare to configure. Are there any online YouTube tutorials for this?
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi again.

Setting up was just 'plug & play'. It does not need a You Tube tutorial.

All you need to do is select and set which channel number you want to use on the Studio Logic. Plug a midi cable from it into the FA midi in jack and press any note on the pedal and it will input that note and play what ever patch/sound you have set for that channel on the FA. Kick drum is bottom C on my pedal keyboard and with the Power Session Super Natural Drum kit it has some impact. Nowt to it.

I have standardised my set up and keep the pedal keyboard on channel 9 and in different sets will have drums, bass or other patches on that channel. I also send channel 9 to the sub-out and route that through a Strymon Big Sky to get some really dreamy echo reverb. I also use FA's Master keyboard facility to send out patch changes to the Strymon to set that up as required automatically.
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Hi, back again.

I just remembered that Dan Baker, a regular You Tube musician and video tutor once did a good show where he used a keyboard setup as centre stage for a one man band he used a foot pedal keyboard as his tool for a comprehensive drum backing track - as i am suggesting you consider. Gear is different but similar.
I have looked for it and found it. Take a look...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktVpUyMj_CU

Many of his numerous videos are educational and fun as well.
BenRoland

Post by BenRoland »

9blackoranges wrote: 23:51, 17 December 2021 Hi again.

Setting up was just 'plug & play'. It does not need a You Tube tutorial.

All you need to do is select and set which channel number you want to use on the Studio Logic. Plug a midi cable from it into the FA midi in jack and press any note on the pedal and it will input that note and play what ever patch/sound you have set for that channel on the FA. Kick drum is bottom C on my pedal keyboard and with the Power Session Super Natural Drum kit it has some impact. Nowt to it.

I have standardised my set up and keep the pedal keyboard on channel 9 and in different sets will have drums, bass or other patches on that channel. I also send channel 9 to the sub-out and route that through a Strymon Big Sky to get some really dreamy echo reverb. I also use FA's Master keyboard facility to send out patch changes to the Strymon to set that up as required automatically.
Wow awesome - its now on my shopping list! Thanks soooo much for your help!
9blackoranges

Post by 9blackoranges »

Happy shopping...