Solo Violoncello on the FA?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
clifliu

Solo Violoncello on the FA?

Post by clifliu »

I've been trying to get a reasonable solo violoncello sound (the EXP-08 sections are good). The built in ones and the ones from EXP-10 all seem to have glaring problems. Has anyone solved this problem? I've tried making patches from raw waveforms from EXP-10, but the waveforms also seem to have ranges that are unrealistic or have vibrato added.

The solo violin is better but also not great.

Perhaps I just need to get an Integra 7? haha
harmonizer

Re: Solo Violoncello on the FA?

Post by harmonizer »

The non-Supernatural sounds in an FA-06/FA-07/FA-08 use the same sound architecture as patches in an XV.
Sometimes the vibrato in an XV patch can be removed via the method discussed in this thread:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthrea ... in-xv-5050

Note the warnings from others in that thread that if the vibrato is in the waveform itself, there will be nothing you can do to remove it.
But if the vibrato you hear is being imposed by the LFO settings, those LFO settings can be turned down to zero.
You will just need to try it to find out whether the vibrato is being caused by the LFO settings or not.

First you will need to make a copy of the patch in the User Bank of your FA.
(sorry "patch" is only the right term on an XV - there is a different term for this on an FA).
Then find the LFO settings and see if they are non-zero, and if they are, turn them down to zero.
clifliu

Re: Solo Violoncello on the FA?

Post by clifliu »

My FA is in its box as we prepare to move so I can’t try this out, but thank you for the advice. I kind of remember that the vibrato was in the sample but I will report back in a few months.