Easy ways to create synth patches?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
progbball23

Easy ways to create synth patches?

Post by progbball23 »

I have an FA-08. What are some easy ways to create synth patches from scratch? I've tried making some, but the menu diving is not fun. Do you guys have an easier way to mess around and make custom l synth patches?

Also, is there a way to use an external midi controller to map a lot of the synth patch parameters? And is a way to map the 6 knobs to the parameters?
Tiguspca

Re: Easy ways to create synth patches?

Post by Tiguspca »

I’m new myself but I have played around with it. So far, no really shortcut but one of the features I like to use is the pad mode configured to select partials (mode 6). This allows you to directly turn on or off each partial as well as selecting the one you want to edit. I find it quite useful. Also make sure to turn down the sends of the partials to the chorus and reverb which by default are to the max on the init voice. For the rest, it is menu diving and trial and error. Maybe someone else has a few tips to add. Obviously starting with a sound that is already similar to what you are looking for may save you some steps.
Good luck !
Gp
progbball23

Post by progbball23 »

Tiguspca wrote: 19:07, 16 January 2022 I’m new myself but I have played around with it. So far, no really shortcut but one of the features I like to use is the pad mode configured to select partials (mode 6). This allows you to directly turn on or off each partial as well as selecting the one you want to edit. I find it quite useful. Also make sure to turn down the sends of the partials to the chorus and reverb which by default are to the max on the init voice. For the rest, it is menu diving and trial and error. Maybe someone else has a few tips to add. Obviously starting with a sound that is already similar to what you are looking for may save you some steps.
Good luck !
Gp
Thanks for the tips. I might mess around and see what I can do, but the menu diving isn't fun for me.
Dnomaid

Post by Dnomaid »

If you want to see more parameters on screen at the same time when editing the SN-S engine, use the PRO EDIT screen. It'll show you a lot more info at once as well as certain parameters which you can't access in the regular view.

The PCMS engine is better for more in depth programming. It offers more parameters to tweak compared to the SN-S engine as well as more mod matrix options.
skyy19854

Post by skyy19854 »

Easiest way to create good patches onboard is the partial copy function in the PCM Tone edit page, it give you access to all preset/user patches (tones) in the PCM engine.