How to use Expression pedal for parts played via midi?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
kkleiner

How to use Expression pedal for parts played via midi?

Post by kkleiner »

Hello,
I'm new to the Roland FA06 and need some help to assign the expression pedals for a studio set:
I use an external keyboard together with the keyboard of the FA 06 to play 4 parts of the FA 06 using a midi connection and studio set mode

Part 1 - bass - Rx ch 1 - played by external keyboard (lower part) sending on ch 1
Part 2 - piano - Rx ch 2 - played by external keyboard (upper part) sending on ch 2
Part 3 - brass - Rx ch 3 - played by - FA 06 keyboard (lower part)
Part 4 - vox - Rx ch 4 - played by FA 06 keyboard (upper part)

Part 3 is "selected" to ensure that the Fa 06 keyboard playes parts 3 and 4

So far so good, this is working fine, I can play 4 parts/tones, 2 from the external keyboard (bass and piano) and two from the FA 06 itself (brass and vox)

I want to use expr pedal 1 to control part 1 (left hand) and expr pedal 2 to control parts 2,3 and 4 (right hand)

In "studio set common" > "pedal" I assigned the pedals to be controled by the studio set and to control CC07 volume
In "studio set common" > "control switch" I activated "Pedal1" for part 1 only and "Pedal 2" for parts 2,3,4 only
In the "parts view" > "midi Rx Filter" Rx volume and Rx expr is activated for all parts, in case that should be necessary

Unfortunately, the expression pedals seem to work only for the parts played at the FA 06 itself (3 and 4) not for the parts played via midi (1 and 2)

I found, that if I "select" part 1 in the "studio set play" view, now the expr pedal 1 controls the volume of part 1, if I select part 2 expr pedal 2 controls part 2 - that's nice - but I need to select part 3 to ensure the FA 06 keyboard plays parts 3 and 4.
Are the expr pedals only controlling the "selected" parts?

Can anyone give me a hint what I am missing? This would be nice.

Regards
Klaus
Tiguspca

Re: How to use Expression pedal for parts played via midi?

Post by Tiguspca »

All you have done is correct. I had the same issue trying to use the modulation pedal to affect an external KB. Here is a trick i was able to use. You actually activate all 4 parts in the Studio Se.t However for the parts that you don't want the FA to play, use the keys selection like you would do a split shut off all the keys, This way the keys don't make the sound but the MIDI messages are still sent on the channel.
I'm pretty sure it will give you what you are looking for.
Good luck!
GP
kkleiner

Post by kkleiner »

Dear Tiguspca,
yes, activating the "keyboard switch" for all parts and setting the "keyboard range" for the parts I want to play via the external keyboard to "G9-G9" is the solution I was looking for.
Thanks a lot
Regards Klaus
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

Cool. Glad I could help!
GP