How to retrigger notes on Hold?

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
GROMoff

How to retrigger notes on Hold?

Post by GROMoff »

Hey folks, appreciate if anyone can help me sort out a tiny thing that bugs me a whole lot though since it's so important for my live setup – or at least confirm it's not doable with FA06.

So basically there's a Hold function that you can assign to, say, S1. When on and I play a chord with some pad-like sound it works exactly the way it has to. However when I play the second chord, the first one won't stop! It just blows my mind and completely ruins the idea of the Hold for me as there's no way I can use it when playing live. I have a Nord Lead A1 that also has Hold, and it operates much more logically – whatever was played first holds, and then all the notes of it stop as soon as you press something new, so you basically can replace a chord with a note or vice versa. Is there a way to set up the Hold similarly in FA06? Maybe there's some other logic in Roland, i.e. a setting in each particular tone – but I never could find it anyway. It's just so irritating, I have to find my ways with a Hold pedal but it's a major pain in the butt and an extra point of focus when performing, which could have been spent elsewhere :(

Thanks in advance.
BBQ

Re: How to retrigger notes on Hold?

Post by BBQ »

Hi,

The 'hold' function on an FA cannot do that, it works like a "classic" synth hold pedal or like a piano-like sustain pedal (with which you can sustain notes already released).

If you really need the functionality you describe, you can cheat it out though: the arpeggio hold function has the retriggering functionality that you want. You need to create a custom arpeggio (via SMF or a Song) with very very long notes and set the arpeggio motif to "chord" and arpeggio hold to "on". Then if you play a chord, the arpeggiator will play those notes until you release the hold or play something else.

I haven't tried this for the long notes / custom arpeggio, though I have used the retriggering/hold functionality.
GROMoff

Re: How to retrigger notes on Hold?

Post by GROMoff »

BBQ wrote: 09:03, 20 June 2022 Hi,

The 'hold' function on an FA cannot do that, it works like a "classic" synth hold pedal or like a piano-like sustain pedal (with which you can sustain notes already released).

If you really need the functionality you describe, you can cheat it out though: the arpeggio hold function has the retriggering functionality that you want. You need to create a custom arpeggio (via SMF or a Song) with very very long notes and set the arpeggio motif to "chord" and arpeggio hold to "on". Then if you play a chord, the arpeggiator will play those notes until you release the hold or play something else.

I haven't tried this for the long notes / custom arpeggio, though I have used the retriggering/hold functionality.
Wow thanks – that's some sophisticated way to overcome it! It may not work for all the cases as I sometimes use the arpeggiator the way it's supposed to be used in some tracks but I'll give the long notes a go at least for experimenting purposes. And also thank you very much for confirming my suspicions that an FA is unable to do this – that's nice to get it off my chest, at least I won't bother myself anymore trying to dig it any further hoping there's a rusty aged guideline in the dark depth of the Internet lol.