dirkeys

Sending HOLD P to external master keyboard

Post by dirkeys »

Hi all

I have the following setup:
  • Roland FA-06
  • Studiologic SL88
  • Roland RPU-3 triple pedal with 3 continuous controller and 3 stereo jack
The RPU-3 is connected to the FA. I want to make the HOLD pedal hold the sound even when I'm playing on the SL88, so I wanted to use the masterkeyboard function integrated in the FA since version 2.0. "Master Kbd (1/2)" is already ON by default, but all the parameters are grayed out, so obviously inactive.

If I set "Master Kbd (1/2)" to MKB, the parameters change to orange. There I was already happy and thought that with "HOLD P" = ON also Sustain CC is sent to the SL88. But it does not work.

So I took a close look at the PDF "Functions Added in Ver. 2.0" from Roland. I am totally wondering that in the PDF all the control parameters are shown to be orange = active when "Master Kbd (1/2)" is already ON. Why do I have grayed out parameters instead? I didn't find an answer in the PDF and also in the menu jungle of the FA I didn't find a solution.

Can you help me with the following questions?
  1. Is the HOLD parameter sent to the SL88 when "Master Kbd (1/2)" is ON, but not when set to MKB?
  2. How do I get active (= orange) parameters with "Master Kbd (1/2)" = ON?
  3. Maybe I'm just misunderstanding something in general. Do you have a solution how I can send HOLD from the FA-06 to the SL88 so that I don't have to put a separate HOLD pedal just for the SL88 beside the RPU-3? I do not want that at all. I would probably mix up the pedals while playing.
Thank you very much for your help in advance!

Greetings from Germany,
Dirk
dirkeys

Re: Sending HOLD P to external master keyboard

Post by dirkeys »

Info: RPU-3 can also be connected to the SL88, but the SL88 has no possibility to transmit the CC data of the pedals via MIDI to external devices, i. e. the FA-06 in this case.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

I would try a different approach. Before going into details, can you provide a bit more details about how the studio set is configured, or even better, check if the following works:

Create a simple studio set on the FA-06 with one part that is played both locally and remotely. Press the sustain pedal that is connected to the FA-06, and confirm that it works for locally played notes. Then check if it also works for notes played on the external MIDI controller.

I assume that you are interested in playing different parts on the local and external keyboard, and that the local sustain pedal does not work for the part that is used by the external keyboard. If this is the setup, then there is a simple trick to make it work:

You enable the external part also locally, however, change the keyboard range to C-1 - C-1. If you do that, then local note events will have no effect, however, controllers like the sustain pedal still affect the part.
dirkeys

Post by dirkeys »

Thank you for your answer!

Unfortunately it does not work with HOLD even with a simple studio set with only one part. Play on FA + Hold OK, play on SL88 + Hold no sustained sound.

I can only get this to work if I change the Remote Keyboard Switch to ON in the System menu. But then I have exactly the same key range behavior on the SL88. As if I have an FA-08 instead the FA-06. That is not the point.

For example, I would like to play the SL88 with a piano with 88 keys and hold pedal and have the FA-06 with a synth pad sound on the lower and synth lead on the upper keybed.

The more I think about using the hold pedal for both keyboards, the more I think it won't work. How should the FA know that the sound played on the FA should be not sustained, but the sound played via the SL88 should be?

Conclusion: Either 2 hold pedals or remote keyboard switch to ON and thus also the same zones on the SL88.

Or is there a solution after all? :)
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

Did you validate that the MIDI channel for the SL88 match the channel on the activated (muted) part you want use to play on the FA ?
skyy19854

Post by skyy19854 »

if you turn on the remote function on fa06 or whatever all midi commands work as if your at the fa06 itself not at mine at the moment so I cant test it out. But I believe this is the solution your looking for. Its in the system menu

Maybe Remote+sysex of hold button?? maybe try that
Tiguspca

Post by Tiguspca »

One thing you can try is the following.
Take one of the Studio set parts that you don't want to use on the FA. Set the channel to the SL88 channel, turn the Keyboard switch to ON. Then shut off all the notes for this part (like you would to a split but will all notes off) . This way the sound engine of the FA is off, you don't lose polyphony but all the other MIDI messages are transmitted. I do this for my organ sounds. I have en FA08 so for organ its not ideal so I assing the organ sound same channel as to my Korg M1 and this way, I can use the expression pedal of the FA to turn on and off the rotary speaker speed that conrils the organ sound by the M1. It sould work the same for the hold pedal.