Merging Songs from Two FA Boards

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Elbitrevnoc

Merging Songs from Two FA Boards

Post by Elbitrevnoc »

Can anyone help me with this one please? I have an FA-08 and a FA-06 and both have saved songs on them. I want to sell the 06 and now want all songs stored on just the FA-08.

Whilst I can easily plug the 06’s SD card into the 08 and access the songs, I then no longer have access to the 08’s songs, because they are on the SD card I’ve removed. I’ve backed up both boards to my PC and wondered if I could cut and paste data into another SD card, but it’s impossible to identify the songs as the saved data doesn’t include their names and some of them will be in conflicting positions - e.g. both boards will have a sequence in Song 1 folder for instance.

I hope this makes sense, but my simple question is how on earth do I merge the two sets of songs/studio set data to one board?

Thanks!
xp30

Re: Merging Songs from Two FA Boards

Post by xp30 »

One idea: Move the songs to different positions, and then it will be easier to merge them on the file system.

First: Make sure that you have really backed up the cards, and don't touch the backups again, unless necessary.

Let's imagine you have 23 songs on CARD1 and 44 songs on CARD2. Put CARD1 into the FA, and move the 23 songs into the positions 1-23. Moving means, copying the song to the new position and deleting the song in the old position. Put CARD2 into the FA, and move the 44 songs from this card into positions 24-67.

On the cards, the songs are stored in the directories:
  • Roland/FA/SONG/0001~0100/0001/
  • Roland/FA/SONG/0001~0100/0002/
  • Roland/FA/SONG/0001~0100/0003/
Then you only have to copy the directories 0001 to 0023 from one card to the other.
Elbitrevnoc

Re: Merging Songs from Two FA Boards

Post by Elbitrevnoc »

Thanks! That makes perfect sense. I was a bit nervous about doing a copy and paste of the song files via PC, as I couldn't find any reference to such a procedure anywhere and confess I hadn’t thought of your suggestion of simply putting the songs in separate folder positions🙄. Both ‘boards are fully backed up to separate cards though, so I’m safe to give this a go. Really appreciate your help.