fa06 how to set up aft. from controller

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
mr music person

fa06 how to set up aft. from controller

Post by mr music person »

ive been trying to set up my fa06 to recieve aft from a m-audio oxygen pro 61. some of the preset pcm tones on the fa06 work fine (so i know its not the m-audio at fault. it also sends correct aft. to my kronos). with the aftertouch yet there is no menue to impliment aft in pcm mode. ? whearas for the SNsynth there is an aft. lfo menue but no matter what i do i am unable to make the aft. work. i only want it for vibrato. can any one enlighten me on how to impliment the vibrato aft on my fa06 controled from my m-audio keyboard
Dnomaid

Re: fa06 how to set up aft. from controller

Post by Dnomaid »

PCMS engine has a very versatile Mod Matrix. Select AFTERTOUCH as a source (you have to scroll thru the CC"s to locate it.) You can control a lot of different parameters with it at once, including MFX settings. There's 4 independent Mod Matrix's, each with multiple sources and destinations. The SNS engine is much more limited with it's aftertouch options. All Mod Matrix settings get saved with the patch, so once a patch is setup, it will behave the same way in any Studio Set.
mr music person

sorry i didnt exsplain myself clearly. i do have after touch on some of my PCM sounds already programed by at. (though dont know hiw to set some of the others to do same, so a step by
step instruction how to do this would be very much appreciated) but it is none of the supernatrual that work o aftertouch. so i am looking for a step step exsplanation how to make aftertouch work on the supernatural sounds which unlike the PCM sounds do af an aftertouch menue but i cant c the aftertouch to work dispite doing all the relevent settings in the supernatrual synth tones. so how do i get the supernatural synth sounds to get aftertouch and also the same for the PCM sounds that dont have aftertouch already activated. i need a step by step exsplanation of how to do these things. cheers.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

mr music person wrote: 21:25, 6 July 2023 ive been trying to set up my fa06 to recieve aft from a m-audio oxygen pro 61. some of the preset pcm tones on the fa06 work fine (so i know its not the m-audio at fault. it also sends correct aft. to my kronos). with the aftertouch yet there is no menue to impliment aft in pcm mode. ? whearas for the SNsynth there is an aft. lfo menue but no matter what i do i am unable to make the aft. work. i only want it for vibrato. can any one enlighten me on how to impliment the vibrato aft on my fa06 controled from my m-audio keyboard
You can use Matrix Control: Set Control Source to AFTERTOUCH, Control Sensitivity to a positive value, and pick the Control Destination that you want to change. For example LFO1 PITCH DEPTH for a vibrato effect.

See pages 58-59 in the FA Parameter Guide for more information.
mr music person

ok, can now understand exactly how to add aft. to pcm sounds but still confused with adding aft to supernatrual synth sounds. (which are the main sounds i want to add aft. to ie for solo lead sounds). in the supernatral synth sounds there is a dedicated menue system for adding aft. to (choose any or all etc.) of pitch/volume/filter, but when i try to add the aft vibrato to pitch i still cant get it to work. are the minimum settings that i have to make sure are set before the aft. takes effect ? or can you tell me what /where in manual this information is. i do have all the many manuals on my tablet. and please note sorry for not replying earlyer to your 1st message to me as the email from the forum went to my spam folder and only just noticed it. cheers. and thanks for your greately appreciated help.
Dnomaid

Post by Dnomaid »

The SN-Synth engine Aftertouch options are limited to Filter Cutoff and Level only. (Page 36 - FA Parameter Guide Manual.)
The PCM-Synth engine is much more versatile for Aftertouch options.
mr music person

hi, thanx for your reply and i see that you are correct and i for the life of me cant understand why roland hadnt included lfo depth in the aft. menue ?. seems crazy to me as its the supernatrual synth when doing solos that you most want vibrato aft. ? any way thanks for your help. much appreciated. cheers.
Dnomaid

Post by Dnomaid »

Ya, it makes no sense that Roland omitted all the other Aftertouch options on the SN-S engine. Dumb move. That said, I use the PCM-S engine most of the time for synth patches because of the more extensive Mod Matrix options and deeper editing in general. The EXP-O2 expansion provides lots of synth wavs for pads and leads.
mr music person

yes, i also have exp 02 and exp 11 added on both my FA06's ( i have the 2 as i like the synth so much. also have the fantom 06 and getting the fantom 08 this week. ) as well so intend doing the same as you. cheers. and thanks.