Organising Studio Sets

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Wez

Organising Studio Sets

Post by Wez »

Hi Everyone!

This is a 2 part question...

I have an FA-07 and have a Studio Set for each song we play- I tap a pedal and advance through the banks in order of the set list.
When we add a new song or have a requested song for an event I make a new Studio Set. The issue of re-organising the sets to accommodate new material using the wheels and buttons on board is very fiddly and takes a long time.

I have the FA Workstation Editor, but have not found a way to achieve this with that either.

I also have a vocal effect unit (TC Helicon VoiceLive Play GTX and its linked via midi), again a setting per song- when re-organising with that, I connect to my laptop vias USB, open the TC Helicon programme and drag and drop "patches" so the order matches the set list... Is there a way to manipulate my Studio Sets on the FA-07 via a laptop in a similar fashion? Then, ideally I'd like to tap the pedal of the FA-07 and change both at the same time. Is this possible?

Any help would be much appreciated, as the set list changes almost every gig. Thank you in advance for any help
Rolandski

Re: Organising Studio Sets

Post by Rolandski »

Dragging around would of course be nice. I don't know about possibilites via PC. The way I do this is using Favourites, which you can also go up/down via footswitch. I select my Studio Sets (using their current order) and at each one, store it to the Favourites in the order the gig requires. The benefit of this, compared with going up the Studio Set list as such, is that you can, with the touch of one to two buttons, recall any one of them, should you need to on the fly, which in my opinion is easier than scolling to a studio set with the dial, but you need to remember where the patches are of course.

Anyway, I keep a set of staple studio sets in Bank 0, always right there when I need them. That one bank's 10 favourites times up to the 16 sounds in a SS (and much more when you add that a studio set can hold 15 different combinations of its 16 sounds available at the press of a pad) is even just that by itself enough to cover quite a lot of ground in a live setting.
Rolandski

Re: Organising Studio Sets

Post by Rolandski »

I have another idea for you :

It is very easy to do a backup of the synth to the memory card. (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjnlf0B7Ik8)

That backup includes all your Studio Sets as a list.

Then you can import studio sets one by one and easily select into which slot(s) they go (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo7ih7JkRvA)

So for each gig, you could load a back-up including the new Studio Sets you created, then from there select all the studio sets for the upcoming gig and put them directly in the order you want, one by one. It is not the drag-and-drop function that might be ideal but does not exist, but it is handy and I suspect it should not take very many minutes to set ut a gig with, say, 30 songs using that method. In fact, I think that is what I will myself do henceforth.