EXPRESSION PEDALS for FA06/07/08

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
TyPie

EXPRESSION PEDALS for FA06/07/08

Post by TyPie »

Hi All,
I'm in the market for an expression pedal for my FA-07. Is there a definitive list somewhere of FA-series compatible pedals?
I'm hoping that I will be able to use it with some other gear I have.

I thought pedals would be an easy decision, but alas, they are not.
I'm also hoping for a multi or dual function pedal. Is the BOSS EV-30 (for an example) compatible?

Any help or suggestions from anyone that has gone through this search will be much appreciated!
(I'm NOT interested in the Roland EV-5...)
xp30

Re: EXPRESSION PEDALS for FA06/07/08

Post by xp30 »

TyPie wrote: 16:14, 3 September 2023 I'm in the market for an expression pedal for my FA-07. Is there a definitive list somewhere of FA-series compatible pedals?
I'm hoping that I will be able to use it with some other gear I have.

I thought pedals would be an easy decision, but alas, they are not.
I'm also hoping for a multi or dual function pedal. Is the BOSS EV-30 (for an example) compatible?

Any help or suggestions from anyone that has gone through this search will be much appreciated!
(I'm NOT interested in the Roland EV-5...)
The FA-06 Reference Manual mentions multiple times (with slightly different wording):
HOLD jack: You can connect a pedal switch (DP series; sold separately) and use it as a hold pedal.

CTRL 1, CTRL 2 jacks: You can connect an expression pedal (EV-5; sold separately) or pedal switch (DP series, sold separately) here and use them to control various parameters or functions. Use only the specified expression pedal (EV-5; sold separately). By connecting any other expression pedals, you risk causing malfunction and/or damage to the unit.
I think this is the authoritative list of compatible pedals. Having said that, BOSS is part of Roland, and I am fairly sure that the BOSS EV-30 also works.

Is there any particular reason why you do not want to use the EV-5?
TyPie

Post by TyPie »

Thanks much for your reply, XP.

Not that the EV-5 is not a great pedal! (I read the manual, but many use different pedals.)

1. I am primarily a guitar player. I'm thinking, '2 birds with 1 stone', that the EV-30 (dual expression pedal) will offer a little bit more flexible control over my guitar rig. It would be great if I could use the pedal for both, if possible.

2. I'm not crazy about a 'built in', hard-wired TRS cable. (I could probably live with it.)

I thought the same thing about Roland and Boss being the same company, and 'why wouldn't it work', since both the FA-07 and EV-30 are relatively recent'?
That is, until I saw a question in a FAQ on the Boss EV-30 product page (Guitar Center, maybe?) where the question was asked if it was compatible with the FA series of keyboards. The response was that it is NOT compatible. I was surprised, but I don't know who was answering the question.

If anyone here is using the EV-30 successfully with an FA-06/07/08, it would be good to know if it works well.

Thanks again!
Dnomaid

Post by Dnomaid »

Cheap M-Audio expression pedal works fine as well.
TyPie

Post by TyPie »

I thought I would try again and rephrase.

Anyone using a Boss EV-30 expression pedal with the Roland FA06/07/08 ?
Pros?
Cons?

Many thanks!