Parts change with pedal (Studio Set/Pads)

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Beermusic

Parts change with pedal (Studio Set/Pads)

Post by Beermusic »

Is there no way to use ctrl pedals in CTRl 1 and 2 to move through up and down parts within a Studio Set in the same way you might use the pads?

I have this set up to move favourites, studio sets (as a whole) but this not workable for musical theatre work with the delay to the new patch sound.

I would assume there is a way to assign a particular MIDI control number or custom MIDI message but no idea how to do this or find it

Seems an obvious thing to want to be able to do - not sure if a software update fixed this but cannot see it online

Thanks
Paul99

Re: Parts change with pedal (Studio Set/Pads)

Post by Paul99 »

I don't know, but I use Studio Sets with keyboard-switches. Within 1 Studio Set I can use 16 sounds, including the samples. I can put one or more sounds (split and/or layered) under one of the sixteen button. With my pedal I can sustain all the sounds necessary in one button and without a problem choose a different button for a complete different set of sounds and play on. I find that way more comfortable that using two or more favorites in one song. Also because if I recollect correctly, the sound do not sustain when switching to a different favorite. Also, favorites are only handy for the setlist, within the same song you should use the key switches.
Hope this helps?
metalhead666

Post by metalhead666 »

Hi Beermusic,

I think I have a similar question as you.

I'm using my fa06 on stage for live performance and I would like to know, if there is a better way for me to change the sounds very quickly.
Here is my current solution:

Because of the long loading time without having any sound when changing studio sets (this is the most annoying thing about the fa06) I assemble my sound using one or more parts of one studio set, which I bind together turning the keyboard switch function on within the part view menu.
For program changes I use the top-right pad buttons with the pad mode set to "keyboard switch group select".
In this way I use 1-2 studio sets for a song and I'm able to switch relatively quickly between up to 5 sounds per studio set.

The problem is, that I sometimes don't have the time for using the hand for a sound switch, which why I would like a foot switch to to the job.
My questions are:

1. Is there somehow a way of triggering the pad buttons with a foot switch (maybe using one of the free cc-events)?
2. If point one is possible: does the fa06 support foot switches with more than one switch?
I would at least use 4 switches for controlling the sound changes within one studio set.

Best wishes
Tiemo
xp30

Post by xp30 »

Beermusic wrote: 22:00, 20 September 2023 Is there no way to use ctrl pedals in CTRl 1 and 2 to move through up and down parts within a Studio Set in the same way you might use the pads?
I can not test it, because I no longer have an FA-0. I think it might be possible by using another device (e.g. an iPad app, or a powerful MIDI controller). For example, in https://forums.rolandclan.com/viewtopic ... 67#p342567 I described how it is possible to cycle through the keyboard switch groups on the Fantom-0 with the help of an A-Pro MIDI keyboard. I think the same approach would also work for cycle through the parts on the FA-0, because it seems the "Current Part" in "Studio Set Common" can be changed with a SysEx message.

I doubt that you can do it directly on the FA-0, without another device.