FA=08 .vs. FA-06 or FA-07

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
blotchy

FA=08 .vs. FA-06 or FA-07

Post by blotchy »

I've had the FA-08 for years now and I'm pretty happy with it. I got a lot happier with the available organ tones when i downloaded and installed a couple of expansion packs. Sometimes it's a drag trying to fit a full-sized keyboard in at a gig, though. I wonder if a smaller model would work as well. Would it still take the expansion packs? I've played with one of the smaller ones, and while it had Favorites, it didn't seem to have the customized tone sets that's really useful for different situations. (Or maybe I just didn't know how operate it?)

Also, i've been doing doing more organ for a bluesy situation that I really should start doing some slides on to sound like a real organ guy. But it sort of feels abusive on the piano-like keys on the FA-08. Would it help to have the FA-06 or FA-07 less-piano-like keys for that sort of thing? I realize it's still not a Hammond or Nord, but since I'm so happy and accustomed to *other* Roland tones like their Rhodes stuff, it might be nice to stick with Roland for a smaller model.

OTOH -- when keyboards are stacked, and I could think about that for some situations, it seems unlikely you'd want the same brand on both.

Thoughts? Thanks!
xp30

Re: FA=08 .vs. FA-06 or FA-07

Post by xp30 »

blotchy wrote: 13:00, 29 October 2023 I've had the FA-08 for years now and I'm pretty happy with it. I got a lot happier with the available organ tones when i downloaded and installed a couple of expansion packs. Sometimes it's a drag trying to fit a full-sized keyboard in at a gig, though. I wonder if a smaller model would work as well. Would it still take the expansion packs? I've played with one of the smaller ones, and while it had Favorites, it didn't seem to have the customized tone sets that's really useful for different situations. (Or maybe I just didn't know how operate it?)

Also, i've been doing doing more organ for a bluesy situation that I really should start doing some slides on to sound like a real organ guy. But it sort of feels abusive on the piano-like keys on the FA-08. Would it help to have the FA-06 or FA-07 less-piano-like keys for that sort of thing? I realize it's still not a Hammond or Nord, but since I'm so happy and accustomed to *other* Roland tones like their Rhodes stuff, it might be nice to stick with Roland for a smaller model.

OTOH -- when keyboards are stacked, and I could think about that for some situations, it seems unlikely you'd want the same brand on both.
The FA-06, FA-07 and FA-08 are basically identical, except for keybed, dimensions and weight. They are also compatible. You can create a full backup on one and load it into another. There are good reasons for having two of them: Redundancy, and you can leave one of them in the practice room and the other one at home.

If you are interested in an FA-06 or FA-07, then I would recommend to test their keybed. These two models have very different keybeds, and not everyone loves them.

The FA-06, FA-07 and FA-08 have been discontinued. The corresponding new models are the Fantom-06, Fantom-07 and Fantom-08. For clarification, you were talking about the old and discontinued models, correct?
blotchy

Post by blotchy »

Thanks xp30, yes, i had in mind the old models, but hadn't yet seen that they were discontinued. Good point about the redundancy -- i already take the card out from time to time to make a copy. And I am getting concerned I've beaten the FA-08 up over time. I was certainly originally aiming for a piano-like touch, so i'm sure i'd be a bit annoyed by the other keys, but maybe they'd be better for organ situations anyway (as i get used to them).

Now i wonder if the new Phantom models have mostly the same tones.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

blotchy wrote: 15:10, 29 October 2023 Now i wonder if the new Phantom models have mostly the same tones.
There are some existing topics on the differences between the FA-06/07/08 and Fantom-06/07/08, and your question might be covered by one of them:
Unfortunately, it is not possible to simply convert tones and studio sets from the FA-series to the Fantom-0 series. You are losing the ability to easily replicate all settings from one to the other. If you are not getting and FA-06 or FA-07, then I would suggest to also take a look at keyboards from other brands. If you are looking for a similarly priced keyboard with similar features, then the Yamaha MODX/MODX+ might be interesting.
blotchy

Post by blotchy »

Thanks for the background links xp30. I would actually miss the d-link moving to the Fantom, but seem to be the minority there.
And it looks like they dropped large sets of tones I would also miss -- unless they my favorite rhodes ones.

Do the FA-07 and FA-06 have studio sets like the FA-08? That wasn't clear to me when i've borrowed one (i think the FA-07).
xp30

Post by xp30 »

blotchy wrote: 01:53, 30 October 2023 Do the FA-07 and FA-06 have studio sets like the FA-08? That wasn't clear to me when i've borrowed one (i think the FA-07).
Yes, all 3 of them have studio sets. As mentioned before, they are basically identical, except for keybed, dimensions and weight. There is only one set of manuals for all 3 of them. And the manuals mention if things are specific to some of the models (e.g. dimensions and weight).
fa-manuals.png
fa-manuals.png (101.35 KiB) Viewed 447 times
Emmerson

Post by Emmerson »

It's worth getting an FA07.
I have done this as it's much lighter than the FA08.
I have had to reprogram sine studio sets since there's less keys but I really like the difference is weight. It's only 9kg.
The keybed is decent. Much better than the FA07.
Definitely worth it
harmonizer

Post by harmonizer »

I have a Roland FA-07, and use it and a Nord Stage at live covers band gigs.
If I want to use a good organ sound, or the best EP or Wurli sound, I use the Nord.
Nord can't touch the split capabilities in my Roland FA-07, and there are lots of specialty sounds I get from the FA-07 that I don't know how to get from the Nord.

Back to your question:
If you are looking for a keybed on which to do a palm smear while playing an organ part, the FA-07 keybed is not the answer for that.
blotchy

Post by blotchy »

Thanks @harmonizer, "palm smear" indeed, now i know the name for the move I need to add. :) Glad to hear the Roland is useful to you even with a Nord. Seems like all the rhodes tones are hard to beat, and yea, i use splits as well. And glad the forum came back! (I think it was down for a month or so.)