New FA-07 player and answer Hammond and IFX

Forum for Roland FA-06/08
Amahori

New FA-07 player and answer Hammond and IFX

Post by Amahori »

Hi, I'm new to the FA Forum.
I play in a Rock/Prog band, in an amateur way. I had a Motif ES7, beautiful but heavy. I got the FA07 for the weight and real time Pad function.
I have read all the pages of the forum, they are helping me, I am reading the parameters manual.
Do you have any new suggestions for Hammond?
I inserted an TFX, Vinyl, on a Studio Set with Hammond: the sound improved a lot, well I say.... but then I found the effect on all the Studio Sets! How do I hold it without it being all over the keyboard? However I found that an IFX VK Rotary effect adds that dirt to the Hammond giving the overdrive effect. It seems like a nice improvement and I can add it individually to the tracks. I have an idea that the Roland FA sounds were not developed properly, which was the case for Motif, where there were a lot of sounds
xp30

Re: New FA-07 player and answer Hammond and IFX

Post by xp30 »

Amahori wrote: 10:29, 15 February 2024 Do you have any new suggestions for Hammond?
I inserted an TFX, Vinyl, on a Studio Set with Hammond: the sound improved a lot, well I say.... but then I found the effect on all the Studio Sets! How do I hold it without it being all over the keyboard? However I found that an IFX VK Rotary effect adds that dirt to the Hammond giving the overdrive effect. It seems like a nice improvement and I can add it individually to the tracks.
It has been a while since I sold my FA.

The FA has 1 MFX for each for the 16 parts, 1 additional IFX and a subset of parts can be routed through the IFX, and then Chorus and Reverb send effects. All of them are stored with the Studio Set. Beyond that, it also has the system-wide TFX and Master EQ.

For the tone wheel sound: I think of a real Leslie as a combination of drive effect, speaker simulation and rotary effect. The FA has a "Rotary" and a "VK Rotary" effect, and IIRC either they have no drive effect/speaker simulation, or it can not be configured.

An option is to add the Guitar Amp Simulator. However, there is a caveat on the FA: The Guitar Amp Simulator is a mono effect, and it should be before the Rotary effect (because otherwise the rotary effect sounds weird). That means Guitar Amp Simulator as MFX and (VK) Rotary effect as IFX. However, IIRC the parameters of the IFX can not be adjusted with controllers. That means it is not possible to change the rotary speed with a button if the (VK) Rotary is used as IFX.

Nevertheless, you can try how it sounds, and if you have to switch the rotary speed, then you can keep the edit screen for IFX open, and adjust it there.
Amahori

Post by Amahori »

How can I change the IFX settings? I can change the Chr and Rev return but I can't access the screen but only the effect selection. I would lower it a little because the VK Rotary is very powerful. For the Fast effect I think I should rebuild a new Hammond from the patch organ. For the pedal...if I have to add something, I'll take a leslie pedal. The fan is too expensive, I don't know if there is a cheaper pedal with leaslie and overdrive without spending a lot of money. However, I rarely use the Hammond, if I were to play Deep Purple I would equip myself more.
xp30

Post by xp30 »

Amahori wrote: 15:09, 16 February 2024 How can I change the IFX settings?
I took the following screenshot from the parameter guide.
fa-effects-edit.png
fa-effects-edit.png (146.21 KiB) Viewed 173 times
On this screen, you need to switch from M.Comp to IFX. Then press SHIFT + 7 to edit the IFX settings. You can find more information in the parameter guide starting on page 14, and in the reference manual starting on page 52.
Amahori

Post by Amahori »

Thanks, I succeeded. I didn't find it in the manual, I must have missed it.