Tr-8 Assignable outputs won't trigger outboard gear

Forum for Aira
Take5

Tr-8 Assignable outputs won't trigger outboard gear

Post by Take5 »

Greetings Just got the Roland TR-8 drum machine. It's brand new, but I seem to be having issues with sending trigger out to clock my vintage gear. I know how to map the individual sounds to the outputs (output A in this case). I have mapped the Snare to output 'A', and sent that signal out to the EXT clock 'IN' of my SH101, as well as my JX3P, and also my JUNO60 with some strange results.

The result is the same on all these synths. Each time a note is triggered it ends up sounding cluttered, like there are too many notes playing on each step (instead of just one), and the steps are all sporadic (like sometimes it will play on the step sometimes it wont, notes eem out of sequence). I have it set to play a simple pattern on 1,5,8,13 but they will not always sound on all the steps. Also I have tried messing with the volume slider and the compression (and other parameters like Instrument gain setting) of the snare to see if that would change anything, but nothing really changed enough to make the noates advance properly. I also tired assiaging the CLAP, and KICK to the 'A' outputs with the same results. Alternatively, I have also attempted all theis on teh 'B' output with the same results. Also I have plugged the cables from the assignable outputs to a mixer and can hear the sounds fine.

I am frustrated becuase I know this is a simple thing to do, as I have just tested the aformentioned synths being triggered by my Roland TR-808 and that works fine, and have seen others do it on their TR-8s online.

ANy help would be grateul appreciated.

THanks

Mikee
Take5

Re: Tr-8 Assignable outputs won't trigger outboard gear

Post by Take5 »

After a discussion with a friend, I realized that this is proabably not possible on the TR-8. Those outputs are not designed to be proper trigger outs. SOme people have claimed to have done it, but proabbly didnt notice that the notes were a bit out of sequence, because they were in synch with the tempo. I understand how it could sound kinda cool if the notes are a bit randomized, but this is not proper synching. If anyone can show me different I would be very happy to learn I am wrong. But do pay attention to the note pattern when trying to synch some gear and you will see that it becomes speratic.

I noticed this happening on a video where the person cliamed to have 'snyched' the SH101 with the the TR-8 but you can clearly hear the notes being completely random instead of arpegiating. (he is holding a 3 note chord wiht the U & D button lit on the arp section).

here is the video, the 'sync' part is right at the end. The guy doesnt even notice that the synth is not playing the right notes, because he is so focused on the rhythm. I suspect this misunderstanding of what a trigger out does is what others have misconcieved as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYq-zWOxX7c

Please, though, tell me im wrong!
dx68

Re: Tr-8 Assignable outputs won't trigger outboard gear

Post by dx68 »

Hi ,
You are right, the separate outputs of the Tr8 wont trigger your sh101 appreciator or sequencer. This is because the 101 s designed to be clocked by positive pulses of +5 volts or more and the audio outputs do not provide this kind of voltage.
The Tr808 can trigger an sh101 and other sequencers as it has 3 individual trigger outs. These are not the same as audio outs. When the rim cowbell or accent is programmed into a pattern not only does the internal sequencer generate that sound, it also outputs the clock trigger for that sound to its individual trigger out.

To get the TR8 to trigger your sh101 from one of its individual outputs you would need to convert that sound into a positive voltage pulse. The most likely sound to make this work on the TR8 would be the 808 rim . As its decay is adjustable you should be able to make a pulse short enough to prevent misfiring or off timing of notes when syncing your 101. The recent Tr8 firmware upgrade allows for each the of individual instruments volume levels to be increased beyond what they are originally set at. This could be useful to enable you to trigger other gear. Set the rim level as high as it will go.. if I remember correctly you do this by holding down the button of the instrument you want to adjust and then rotate the tempo button. (You need to have done the firmware update for this function ) Then connect the rim individual output to the clock in on your 101. Start the 101 sequencer/arp and tap some rim notes into the TR8 sequencer.. adjust the decay or pitch of the rim as necessary to see if it will clock the 101. If it doesn't, even with the rims volume level set to max (200??) then you will need another way of increasing the rims volume further. A distortion pedal may work for this. The principle being that it clips the waveform as it distorts turning it into a square wave, the type required to trigger the 101. Again some trial and error with various level settings and decays will be necessary to get the required result. I have both a TR8 and a 101 so if you don't have any success let me know and I'll see if I can find a solution for ya.