sound system setup

Forum for Aira
rubez

sound system setup

Post by rubez »

hi, my sound system is a subwoofer/speaker combo that uses a 3.5mm jack.

i am looking to get a TR8 and TB3. how would you set these up to play with this sound system that uses a 3.5mm jack?

do you need a mixer?

thanks.
Gaetano

Re: sound system setup

Post by Gaetano »

Home theater systems, including little computer surround setups - if that is what you have, are NOT suitable for Synths and drum machines, and you will basically destroy them if you are not very careful. If you have a PA system with a sub that is different, as they can handle the frequency content. That is why keyboard Amps and speakers which are suited to drum machines and synths are used.

If you want to try it though, you can run the TB-3 through one side and the TR-8 on the other side if you get a lead 2 x 6.5mm (1/4") Plugs on one end to 3.5mm stereo on the other. e.g. (TR-8)mono out to left and TB-3 mono out to right. Not a good solution, but the cheapest.

OR get a small mixer so you can mix in stereo TB-3 and Stereo TR-8.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB1002FX.aspx

OR run the TB-3 through the TR-8, but you not only need more leads for that, 'sidechaining' is another discussion.

The best solution (and most expensive), is if you have the extra cash would be to get an MX-1 AIRA mixer (not yet released) and plug the TB-3 and TR-8 into the USB ports and get the lead - 2 x 6.5mm Mono to 3.5mm stereo from the MX-1 or use headphones. Just for reference you can also use what are called TRS cables i.e., 2 x 6.5mm TRS (stereo) on one end and 1 x 3.5mm on the other

http://www.roland.com/products/mx-1/
rubez

Post by rubez »

Gaetano wrote:Home theater systems, including little computer surround setups - if that is what you have, are NOT suitable for Synths and drum machines, and you will basically destroy them if you are not very careful. If you have a PA system with a sub that is different, as they can handle the frequency content. That is why keyboard Amps and speakers which are suited to drum machines and synths are used.

If you want to try it though, you can run the TB-3 through one side and the TR-8 on the other side if you get a lead 2 x 6.5mm (1/4") Plugs on one end to 3.5mm stereo on the other. e.g. (TR-8)mono out to left and TB-3 mono out to right. Not a good solution, but the cheapest.

OR get a small mixer so you can mix in stereo TB-3 and Stereo TR-8.

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/UB1002FX.aspx

OR run the TB-3 through the TR-8, but you not only need more leads for that, 'sidechaining' is another discussion.

The best solution (and most expensive), is if you have the extra cash would be to get an MX-1 AIRA mixer (not yet released) and plug the TB-3 and TR-8 into the USB ports and get the lead - 2 x 6.5mm Mono to 3.5mm stereo from the MX-1 or use headphones. Just for reference you can also use what are called TRS cables i.e., 2 x 6.5mm TRS (stereo) on one end and 1 x 3.5mm on the other

http://www.roland.com/products/mx-1/
NI maschine was ok with my sound system...

the only thing that would cause distortion would be a loud kick drum surely? and i think you can put compression on that.
rubez

Post by rubez »

could i plug both tb3 and tr8 into PC via USB and get stereo? so no need for a mixer?

thanks...
rubez

Post by rubez »

i do have a xone92 mixer...

could i connect the TR-8 and TB-3 to that, and connect mixer to line-in on PC?

would i still need to use USB? how do i get them to sync?
Aldred411

Post by Aldred411 »

rubez wrote:i do have a xone92 mixer...

yes you can still connect the USB for midi
Aldred411

Post by Aldred411 »

If you run the audio though the computer like that you may experience some latency
rubez

Post by rubez »

Aldred411 wrote:

If you run the audio though the computer like that you may experience some latency
how else would i run the audio to the computer?

thanks.
SFDM

Post by SFDM »

You can sync the two by just running a midi cable between the midi out of the TR-8 and the midi in of the TB-3.
If I remember correctly it should just work without changing any settings.
Then just run the audio out to an input on your mixer.
With the Xone 92 (great mixer) you could use one of the mic input channels and keep your 4 main channels for mixing.
You can pick up a midi cable of eBay for £2.
I think the latency Aldred411 is referring to is if you want to sync with your computer.
Going from your Aira stuff through your Xone 92 into your computer with take a few milliseconds therefore creating a slight delay if you are recording into a daw.
Also remember your could make your Xone 92 as the master and send clock to your Aira stuff with the Xone 92s midi out.
Don't forget all Aira gear has an audio interface so you can run audio to your computer via USB.
Do a search on You Tube and there should be loads of info.
Hope this all makes sense...It's been a long day and the brains fried..
Cheers
Aldred411

Post by Aldred411 »

rubez wrote:
Aldred411 wrote:

how else would i run the audio to the computer?

thanks.
A multi input USB/FireWire audio interface .
thinking about it your speakers are connected to the pc , not the mixer, so your not sending the signal to the computer and back again to the mixer ,