System 1m Plug Out Opinions

Forum for Aira
WytchCrypt

System 1m Plug Out Opinions

Post by WytchCrypt »

Hi all,

just got my System 1m last week and am wondering if anyone can discuss the value of the PLUG-OUT feature. I bought the 1m because of it's semi-modular abilities and that I thought it would be a great teammate with my Korg MS20 desktop but don't really understand the value of the PLUG-OUT feature. Can anyone tell me why the PLUG-OUT is a cool thing and what I can do with it?

Riggar

Re: System 1m Plug Out Opinions

Post by Riggar »

I'm not sure there's much to understand ... as its a piece of digital hardware you can 'load' different synths into it. Naturally they are Roland synths. At the moment there's 3 of them (you pay for them). So is it cool? - Don't know really - its a nice way to get different sounding bits of kit from the same hardware package. On the website you can download trial versions of the other 2 - you get 14 days grace - so why not try them out see what you think?
WytchCrypt

Post by WytchCrypt »

Didn't realize I could give them a free trial...thanks for the info.

Anyway, the point I was making was I don't really understand the advantage of this. Is it to give the 1m different sounding oscillators and filters so it sounds like an SH-101 or SH-2? If so, does it really make that big of a difference in the overall sound? Also, does it give increased functionality or additional sound shaping modules? Just seems a bit odd to me that I would pay for the ability to make my 4 voice polyphonic semi-modular behave like a monophonic synth ;-)
Riggar

Post by Riggar »

Yeah I take your point. Just how different does the system-1m become with a new plug-in? Particularly as you mention any (good) differences re functionality and sound. What are we paying 110 euros for? We need more critique. When I’ve got my head around the System-1m a bit more – I’ll move on to do one of the trials; suggest we all do the same and report back here!

There’s a special price for System-1m owners –anyone know what it is ? I can’t make head or tail of the web site. I’ve tried ordering it - ready to put my ‘product key’ in and the cart remains empty?
WytchCrypt

Post by WytchCrypt »

I took a look at the website as well and couldn't find the owners price...after doing some research I've decided to pass on this feature (unless it's super cheap or someone who tries it out 1st can report that it's totally amazing :-)
MacTyros

Post by MacTyros »

WytchCrypt wrote:I took a look at the website as well and couldn't find the owners price...after doing some research I've decided to pass on this feature (unless it's super cheap or someone who tries it out 1st can report that it's totally amazing :-)
Wasnt that the whole point of the System1, being able to load different synths into it?

Unheard of people passing up on the main feature of a synth..
KDub

Post by KDub »

I think what a lot of people are trying to understand is the unique character between each of the plug-outs. What do you get with a plug-out soundwise that you don't get with the default system? As far as I can tell the PROMARS seems to be the most divergent sounding one but I'm still exploring the default system and all of its features and have yet to plunk down for a plug-out yet. I'm also interested in seeing someone review each of the plug-ins in depth vs the general overview we've received from product intros.

To me the main feature of the synth is the one that came in the box. It's very nice all by itself and the System-1m has a huge range of possibilities without even considering the plug-outs especially since the 1.2 update.
WytchCrypt

Post by WytchCrypt »

MacTyros wrote:
WytchCrypt wrote:I took a look at the website as well and couldn't find the owners price...after doing some research I've decided to pass on this feature (unless it's super cheap or someone who tries it out 1st can report that it's totally amazing :-)
Wasnt that the whole point of the System1, being able to load different synths into it?

Unheard of people passing up on the main feature of a synth..
For me the whole point of System 1m and the reason for my purchase is the ability to patch in/out to itself and with my other semi-modular Korg MS20. I consider plug-out an add-on that may or may not be worth using...especially if I'm expected to pay extra for it. If all plug-out does is change the sonic characteristics of the oscillators and filters to match an SH-101 or Promars or SH-2 then it's no big deal for me. If it adds functionality to the semi modular aspects by introducing new modules for patching then that's a different matter.

Considering I've been buying/playing synths since 1981, I seriously doubt that my reasons for buying or not buying a synth could be unheard of at this point :-)
pstnotpd

Post by pstnotpd »

I have the system1 with the promars basically permanently plugged out. It's nice to have a bassy synth at hand without a computer, i.e. another item in the sonic palette and basically doubling the presets.

So how's the ms20/system1m combo? I'm considering the same.
KDub

Post by KDub »

The MS-20M is nice since it supports both voltage standards. With the desktop module you also get the SQ-1 that supports dual CV/Gate/MIDI channels as well as the different voltage standards. When stopped the SQ-1 also can serve as a MIDI note to CV/Gate converter. Oh and it sounds great of course. The fact that it talks to Eurorack is a bonus. Combined with the System-1m it gets nuts. They play very well together.

MS-20M Assembly Tip: Check your nuts. There are two sets. They look very similar. One set is for knobs, the other for the jacks. Yes, I got half way through the jacks before realizing I had installed my jack nuts on my knob pots. So I had to remove all my nuts and start over. Painful and time consuming but an otherwise enjoyable experience.