Recording MX-1

Forum for Aira
kreek

Recording MX-1

Post by kreek »

Thinking about getting an MX-1 and had a question about post-fx recording.

If you have it setup with only Ableton tracks can you record those tracks (post MX-1 effects) back in Ableton as separate tracks or can you only record the master?

Basically looking to use it as a performance mixer and as an effects box for production.

thanks!
NEMA515

Re: Recording MX-1

Post by NEMA515 »

Recording into Ableton with MX-1 in external mode, is post fader, but NOT post fx. There is no way to record the BFX or MFX or AUX send and returns of the individual channels.

Yeah, I know. It really really really sucks.
Onslo Jones

Post by Onslo Jones »

Slight correction to the above post, the MX-1 can record the BFX and Tone knobs from its individual channels into a DAW. MFX and Aux are only recordable as effects on the master channels output.
NEMA515

Post by NEMA515 »

Is there a setting to change that I missed??

I've spent quite a bit of time using the MX-1 now exclusively with ableton, and the recording seems to be pre fader, bfx, and tone knob as well.

And of course, MFX and AUX sends are after they're mixed in the MX1 so that's def only recordable from the master outs.
Onslo Jones

Post by Onslo Jones »

Yes it is pre fader, but i am able to record the tone/filter knob and BFX into ableton on individual tracks. Mutes, MFX, Aux and faders are all only recordable from the master outputs. I am not running the MX-1 in external mode, i am using it in mixer mode. I am not certain if that makes any difference, as i have not used external mode.
NEMA515

Post by NEMA515 »

Maybe the Mixer mode is different? I'll have to check next time I'm in the studio.
holewczynski

Post by holewczynski »

Has anyone been able to get the Master output as a decent level to record? I can only hit -20db on the master outs and raising the master level causes the MX-1 meters to go orange and distort. I actually talked to Brendan from Roland at Knobcon about it and they were surprised at this themselves. If you're recording the individual channels, you can adjust the gain to get the recording level right, but the master has no gain setting. This sort of defeats trying to record POST MFX/Send settings and just get the live mix recorded.
pstnotpd

Post by pstnotpd »

I'm getting pretty good recordings, but from the digital out....

Master out is for the powered monitors and on playback it's bang on.
NEMA515

Post by NEMA515 »

I've been doing the same. I go digital out into an audio interface and then into my monitors. Although I have used the audio outs straight into monitors without much of a problem. Maybe there's an issue with your MX-1?

Also, I think orange doesn't distort on the meters. It's only when it hits red at the very very top that it distorts. Orange just lets you know you're getting close to 0 DBFS. (at least to my ears that is.)
holewczynski

Post by holewczynski »

Sounds like the digital outs are the way to go. What audio interface are you using?
NEMA515

Post by NEMA515 »

This is going to sound like overkill, but I had it before I bought the MX-1. I use a UAD Apollo 8.
pstnotpd

Post by pstnotpd »

I'm recording straight to a tascam dr-100mkii, which is playing back on the effect return of the MX-1.
AlienableTone

Post by AlienableTone »

Upping this post as it's quite old... Any chance there's been an update to fix this?

I know it's a long shot, I've read many recent articles, posts, etc. and still can't see any mention of a fix. But maybe since then, some brilliant mind would have found a fix for this?

Or are we still forced to apply effects in a DAW, post recording?
Inkog

Post by Inkog »

AlienableTone wrote:Upping this post as it's quite old... Any chance there's been an update to fix this?

I know it's a long shot, I've read many recent articles, posts, etc. and still can't see any mention of a fix. But maybe since then, some brilliant mind would have found a fix for this?

Or are we still forced to apply effects in a DAW, post recording?
A fix for what exactly? Recording per channel MFX?
AlienableTone

Post by AlienableTone »

Yeah... I've seen a lot of conversations about folks not being able to record audio from the MX-1 to a DAW, multiple tracks at a time, with bfx/mfx and filter/tone knobs not being recorded - it only seems to work when recording from the main master output.

But these posts are pretty much all from last year so I was wondering if this had been fixed in an update? This just seems like a major oversight from Roland, and given the amount of time that this has been out, either by then they've been able to fix it, or they probably never will... :(