Need your feedback on AIRA

Forum for Aira
cello

Need your feedback on AIRA

Post by cello »

Hi all - I'm doing some research and hoping the group can help me. I have three questions that give some key indicators to the most important thoughts about the AIRA models. I'd like you to give the following:

Positive - the one thing you think is the best feature of AIRA

Improvement - the one thing you think that the AIRA most needs improvement

Keep - the one thing you would like to see kept in future products (be they related or unrelated to the AIRA)

An example answer might be;

Positive - lovely green
Improvement - more green
Keep - green

Please note that this is not a bug-chasing exercise!

Many thanks in advance for all responses. I promise there is value to the exercise.
Nig

Re: Need your feedback on AIRA

Post by Nig »

Just to clarify, you mean the Aira range as a one product rather than the indivdual boxes?

If so:

Positive - USB connectivity to the MX-1, essentially making it a USB Hub.

Improvement - More transparency of that USB connectivity, so that the host PC can see the connected devices. Presently, to load new patches or pattern sets, you have to connect the devices directly to the host in order to have the drive show up.

Keep - I think Roland should should just keep on the development and improvements really. I see that the Airacrew have indicated some forthcoming updates and if true, I can live with an update a year;-)

Now, if we're talking about individual boxes, they all have the plus and negative points IMO but I think the biggest improvement would be proper song modes with program change via MIDI, espicially on the TR8 and TB3.

HTH
nickster

Post by nickster »

Positive: the acb tech behind Aira and what it has enabled Roland to do.

Improvements: The manuals really need to be better written and more in depth. Unlike software, hardware manuals do get read a fair amount by customers and more importantly potential customers. The TB-3 could do with a sonic update as unlike all of the other Aira and Boutique models it does not sound close enough to its predecessor the TB-303. Make sure that any future poly synths play more than 4 notes. Have a think about ditching the green I know this may sound odd but the number of people that have reacted negatively to it indicates it does not fit well with customers expectations of the Roland brand as a whole.

Keep:the overall sound quality, keep the updates coming as any improvement to the ACB tech is welcome. Keep your ears open to what musicians would reasonably like and then spinkle that magic Roland dust on these ideas to do what you do so well already just that little bit better.
NickZoll

Post by NickZoll »

Sound quality is great. Have some analogue stuff but could not say aira sounds worse.

TB3s built quality could be better, plastic is a bit wobbling.

More plug outs!
syver

Post by syver »

Positive: Love the 3-in-1 concept behind the system: Harware synth as well as Midi controller and plugin.

Improvements: TR-8, TB-3 should also come as plugins

Keep: More USB inputs in the MX-1, a System-2 with more complex plug-out synths
Happy

Post by Happy »

Keep
- Mechanical Design of the products, could be sturdier for gig use.

Improve

- Release more Drum computer sets for current TR-8 (CR78 etc..)
(worried Roland already forgot about the TR8 and it's large user base and comes out a total new range)
- Lower price of plug outs for system 1(m) or best move away from this razor and blade marketing approach
High cost of system 100, SH plug-outs adding all up, results in a expensive product
Or come out a System-X to load all plugins in parallel
- Implement proper Sysex instead of file based import/export (System 1, TR-8)
- Go back to normal format of the manual instead of the unreadable sheets.
(Aira users are not all 20 anymore and able to read these small characters)
- Add more theory in manual how to use the instrument , specially for beginners to educate them
(Take a look and compare a TR8 sheet with the 808 manual or a system 100 with legacy modular manuals)
- Add mutli-timbrality and polyphony for System 1
- Add analog Synth to Aira range (based on analog part of JD-XA, in 19" rack form)
- Add the many features people have asked for in this forum for the Aira range
cello

Post by cello »

Thanks for all your inputs everyone! Great comments all round. I'm now pulling everything together and so no longer require more data.