Scooper question

Forum for Aira
Myrk-

Scooper question

Post by Myrk- »

Hey all, been thinking of getting the Aira scooper, but was curious if you had to record a clip and be forced into the clip for scooping, or if it can do it to the incoming audio as is, like the MX-1? Is this possible or do you have to record a clip first? Or would I be better off getting a Demora and using the stutter/scatter on that?
Mark76

Re: Scooper question

Post by Mark76 »

From what I recall, you have to capture the audio before you can loop/mangle it. It doesn't work like the MX1 where you can do it on incoming audio.

If I'm being honest, I'm a little disappointed with the Scooper. It's incredibly noisey, sample quality is 'meh' and even though it's badged as Aira I can't see how it works through Aira link with the MX1, although I'm happy to being corrected on this.

The bizzare modular idea is weird, I would have rather they concentrated on getting the basics right (sound quality for one) then mess around with this.

If someone has one that isn't noisey then please tell me how you manage it because mine is appalling.

Can't comment on the Demora but I would imagine it's based on similar technology
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Hi,

I have both Scooper and Demora. Scooper does need to record first. It also absolutely does work with AIRA Link as a source. You still have to feed a signal into the front side inputs first though.

When using the included power supplies instead of eurorack power, and quality cables, and the proper gain-staging, the noise is pretty well minimized. I have not found sound quality to be an issue.

I bought mine used. The software makes them extremely flexible, and an incredible bargain used. Grab Demora first. It is useful in more situations. Explore the software, and experiment with the virtual modular back end.
I got mine for $75 a piece, so it was a no-brainer. They are a lot of fun and look good in my DIY rack.

...my $.02
Mark76

Post by Mark76 »

Tucker wrote:Hi,

I have both Scooper and Demora. Scooper does need to record first. It also absolutely does work with AIRA Link as a source. You still have to feed a signal into the front side inputs first though.

When using the included power supplies instead of eurorack power, and quality cables, and the proper gain-staging, the noise is pretty well minimized. I have not found sound quality to be an issue.

I bought mine used. The software makes them extremely flexible, and an incredible bargain used. Grab Demora first. It is useful in more situations. Explore the software, and experiment with the virtual modular back end.
I got mine for $75 a piece, so it was a no-brainer. They are a lot of fun and look good in my DIY rack.

...my $.02
Sounds like a fantastic deal! I always thought they were overpriced (in the UK at least)

So are you saying you can use the AIRA link to sync the Scooper also, in the same way as the TR8 etc?

Currently I use my 707 to trigger/sync using voltage which is a good work around for me
Myrk-

Post by Myrk- »

Yer I was looking at the Demora as well, a good little delay effect that I can position in the rack in the middle somewhere. Followup query on the scooper then, is there any hardware out there that does a similar mangling, and bonus if it can sequence FX too. (My MX-1 is dying and I'm changing to a mixer with more inputs to suit my rig).
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Mark76,
I am also using voltage trigger, but I suspect there is way using the virtual modular software back end.
BTW-$75 was pawn store used pricing, not retail.

Myrk,
The MX-1 is pretty unique. I imagine there will be other performance mixers coming.
Other options include kaos pads (sampling fx processors), samplers, and sampling grooveboxes.
mlabbee

Post by mlabbee »

Unfortunately, I can't find a Scooper or Demora for sale anywhere (some Demoras on ebay, but they are $500!!) Torcido looks kind of meh, but Bitrazer looks like it could be useful, at least for the filter. I'd like to get one of these just because you can use it to provide an additional analog in on one of the USB slots (I have a couple of Aira compatible devices and may get one more, but making the last slot available would be nice).

Anyone had much experience using the Aira Modular units as an extra analog in? Pros/cons? Worth spending $200 on Torcido or Bitrazer or should I just wait until a Demora shows up at a non-insane price?
Tucker

Post by Tucker »

Yeah, I lucked out scoring those at the price that I did. Regarding The two that I don't have, personally I think that I would find a distortion to be more useful than a bit crusher, but then I already have plenty of filters. I have heard good things about both of them though.

I do sometimes use mine in "bypass" just to give myself another couple of inputs. Proper gain-staging and the use of the provided power supplies will reduce noise. Another benefit is that they are a DC coupling interface. As DAW's begin to add CV/Gate integration the way Bitwig are doing, these can be used as an inexpensive DC coupled USB audio interface. Keep watching for a good deal on them.