Roland AIRA

Forum for Aira
PauloF

Re: Roland ARIA

Post by PauloF »

Chrisk-K wrote:I hope Roland releases system-2. Something like a 4-octave keyboard and 8-10 voice polyphony. The System-1 is one sexy looking synth.
You can always connect a external Keyboard Controller to give more keys, Velocity and Aftertouch, which System-1 doesn't have
cello

Post by cello »

Just wait for System-8...

Full blown workstation, with multi-engines on demand - Integra-like; 16 sounds (or more) each one coming from a different engine.

Aftertouch, velocity, 256 polyphony as standard.

Bring it on :)

PS Don't know if it's true or not, but I read that the System-1 comes with an extra engine ('plug out') on delivery with other engines in the future being available at $99 each.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I didn't hear about the price, but there was something mentioned on one of the Dancefair showcases about the SH-101 for a starter and a voucher to download it (or another synth???).
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Tom_1970 wrote:I didn't hear about the price, but there was something mentioned on one of the Dancefair showcases about the SH-101 for a starter and a voucher to download it (or another synth???).
SH-101 will be the first of a series of PLUG OUT instruments, yes.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Tom_1970 wrote:I didn't hear about the price, but there was something mentioned on one of the Dancefair showcases about the SH-101 for a starter and a voucher to download it (or another synth???).
Just knew: System-1 =599 EUR (Thomann.de)
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I meant the plugin prices Cello mentioned, but thanks anyway. ;-)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Tom_1970 wrote:I meant the plugin prices Cello mentioned, but thanks anyway. ;-)
Sorry, didn't get it... I thought you meant the System-1's
spottingjonah

Post by spottingjonah »

cello wrote:Full blown workstation, with multi-engines on demand - Integra-like; 16 sounds (or more) each one coming from a different engine.
If it happens, I'm first in line.

So, when does Aira get it's own sub-forum? And do they plan to drop the "Roland" name from the FA sub-forum? Seems odd the only one that includes "Roland". Too picky? :-)
alwaysuptil1

Post by alwaysuptil1 »

A proper reissue would require Roland to contract a chip manufacturing company to remanufacture some discreetish components. The reason that KORG can reissue such marvels as the MS-20 is because it used the most basic off the shelf components, and thus it was one of the cheapest synths on the market in the 70s at $900, while an ARP Odyssey was $1200, and regarded as a much better synth. Minimoog was running well over $2000 because of its hand assembled discreet audiophile grade components, and an internal signal path that rated better than 40khz in frequency response. This is why the Jupiter-8 cost $6400 retail at launch.

I'd love to see a new Jupiter, but unless Roland went the route Dave Smith did with the Prophet 08, it would likely cost as much as a Code-8 at $5000-plus. And we're still hearing from some keyboardists that the '08 sounds chintzy compared to an original Prophet-5. Do you really want Roland to suffer the anger of a whole music industry for producing a Jupiter that sounds cheap?
I'm sorry to quote this much of someone's reply, but I have to point out how articulate and concise this response is. I've always wondered and now I know. Thank you synthguy99.

As far as a response, and I may be very incorrect with this but I think that Jupiter 8 re-issue couldn't be more of a flop that the Jupiter-80. Some critics would still scoff at it not being a real J8 (like the example you pointed out about those in the Prophet 5 camp assailing the '08) but the 08 and the rest of Dave's creations have all been very successful for the most part. (it is worth noting that the Prophet 12 is not analogue but VA through analogue filters...) Moog has had a great comeback as well.

Maybe not a J8 but a J7? a J5? Another real analogue line is all I'm saying. It'd be a great success and couldn't bomb any worse than the Jupiter 80/50's.
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

alwaysuptil1 wrote:As far as a response, and I may be very incorrect with this but I think that Jupiter 8 re-issue couldn't be more of a flop that the Jupiter-80. Some critics would still scoff at it not being a real J8 (like the example you pointed out about those in the Prophet 5 camp assailing the '08) but the 08 and the rest of Dave's creations have all been very successful for the most part. (it is worth noting that the Prophet 12 is not analogue but VA through analogue filters...) Moog has had a great comeback as well.

Maybe not a J8 but a J7? a J5? Another real analogue line is all I'm saying. It'd be a great success and couldn't bomb any worse than the Jupiter 80/50's.
I would be entirely happy with a JP-8 reissue, or a JP-6, both with more features. But because of the EDM and other analog hardheads typified by the human zoo known as Gearslutz, Roland has become a pariah among a segment of the music world. And they overanalize the sound quality of new gear and generally only give a pass to pure analog synths. This is the risk Roland is taking should they decide to jump into the analog waters, that bad mouthing, no matter how good these synths might be, will infect the market and hurt sales.

So, should they decide to go for it, be ready for something like this:
  • A Jupiter-8 with all custom analog/DCO components costing $2995 or more
  • A Jupiter-8 with digital oscillators, LFOs, envelopes and other modulators, with all other electronics being custom analog components costing $1995 or more
  • A Jupiter-8 VA model in the System line of synths - I expect a System-2 as well - costing between $49 to $199
I must say that I'd be tempted to buy the full analog JP-8 or the P12-like hybrid synth, but I have the feeling that I'd be just as happy with the System VA for a good long while. I do think all of them would sell reasonably well, but we might do well to watch what happens with KORG this September. They just released details that they licensed the ARP synth technology and will be producing a "KARP" Odyssey reissue this fall. GSers are already afraid there may be slight differences in sound that they will trash unmercifully, but what else is new.

So Roland, trying to get back on their feet financially - and so far look to be getting solid again - have been watching what's been happening with both the success of the analog "revival" of the Prophet-08 and 12, Arturia MiniBrute, Moog's offerings and a number of others. But also the overwhelming success still of the VA and rompler, as well as softsynths. Now, if they find that the market is even happier with software synths that cost much less than a hardware instrument, they may go the way of the System keyboards and produce downloadable VAs which sound very good and remarkably similar. That may make all the sense in the world, but we'll see.

As someone who has had the privilege to spend countless hours with a number of VAs from the JP-8000, Radias, Virus and Arturia Origin to the Kronos, PC3 and JP-80, I'm plenty happy with their sound. JP-8000 aliasing issues aside. In fact, the System seems very much like an Origin, a host that plays softsynths. Now, what Roland does will be anyone's guess, but I wouldn't cry if we didn't see an analog synth from them for a year or so. I love analog too, but a good VA or softie gets you 90-95% of the way there.

But who knows. With all things Roland, we'll see. ;D
alwaysuptil1

Post by alwaysuptil1 »

So impressed with Korg for doing that. They get it. Don't emulate analogue, make analogue. Can't believe how cool it is that they're going to re-issue the Arp Odyssey.
Solitary man

Post by Solitary man »

alwaysuptil1 wrote:So impressed with Korg for doing that. They get it. Don't emulate analogue, make analogue. Can't believe how cool it is that they're going to re-issue the Arp Odyssey.
Wow that is truly something to get excited about!

I have stated in previous posts about the new Roland system-1 that it is a gaia on steroids, I stand by that.

I am not an analogue purist, I think digital has it's place( that's a bigger place than analogue btw), but why does Roland keep churning out VA's? I don't get it!

If they went down the same road as DSI, digital waveforms with analogue signal path and filters, I would be really impressed but as it stands the new stuff is so obvious and diluted. Come Roland you produced MOST of the best analogue instruments ever so start doing what you do best!
alwaysuptil1

Post by alwaysuptil1 »

You're so right. Even if it listed for what the original J8 listed for, they'd still sell like hotcakes. I'm embarrassed to say how much I paid for a Jupiter 8 last year. Coulda bought a car.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I have mixed feelings about the Korg ARP Odyssey.

On one hand I think it is great that there is the possibility to own one of the classic synthesizers from the past for a, I think, reasonable price.
On the other hand, why stick with all the restrictions of the past (monophonic, no patch memory etc.)

I think that Roland has done a great job with the Aira range of products and made complete new instruments, which refers to their illustrious past, but with the possibilities of today.
The fact that they are not real analog doesn't make the difference I think.
The TR-8 is a very good sounding drummachine and I don't think it would have been a better instrument if it were analog. The fact that it has both the 808 and 909 sounds (with more to come)

Mind, I do love analog synthesizers, but I can't see why reproducing all the classics is a positive trend in the longer term.
The Alesis Andromeda to me is one of the finest examples of how to make a analog synthesizer in modern times. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford one at the time, but I think companies like Elektron, Dave Smith Instruments, Waldorf and Moog are making far more interesting analog instruments than Korg at the moment.
Saxifraga

Post by Saxifraga »

Tom_1970 wrote:I have mixed feelings about the Korg ARP Odyssey.
The Alesis Andromeda to me is one of the finest examples of how to make a analog synthesizer in modern times. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford one at the time, but I think companies like Elektron, Dave Smith Instruments, Waldorf and Moog are making far more interesting analog instruments than Korg at the moment.
+1

I think Korg just wants to cash in on the retro wave as much as possible.
It´s like selling this esoteric 'energized water' bs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXGfIdegM3I
People have gone nuts to buy all the ugly things from the past without any modern features.
Just compare Moog Sub 37 ($1350) and MS-20 DIY ($1500) set and you see what I mean.

But the System-1 is also a bit insane. Why the heck do they drop velocity sensitivity?
That´s a deal breaker for me. Aftertouch may not be necessary but velocity? :(