Roland AIRA

Forum for Aira
cello

Re: Roland ARIA

Post by cello »

Tom_1970 wrote:I meant the plugin prices Cello mentioned, but thanks anyway. ;-)
I hear the plug ins will be around the $99 mark - not officially confirmed. Suspect there will be a range say, $99 to $149 for new plug ins.

Will be interesting to see how much Roland go with this - the possibilities are endless if it remains supported.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

the possibilities are endless if it remains supported.
That's one of my main concerns.
I sold my VariOS three months ago and not because I didn't like it's capabilites and sound, but because of the lack of support and controllability.

Well, at least the System-1 has much more knobs and sliders.
cello

Post by cello »

Tom_1970 wrote:
the possibilities are endless if it remains supported.
That's one of my main concerns.
I sold my VariOS three months ago and not because I didn't like it's capabilites and sound, but because of the lack of support and controllability.

Well, at least the System-1 has much more knobs and sliders.
We don't know what we don't know. Like everything else in life, it depends on the uptake and commercial viability. If enough people buy the platform then 'stuff' will follow. eg Some say that the JP-80 didn't get a huge amount of support due to less-than-expected sales; have no idea whether the sales are less or more than Roland expected but lack of a librarian for a complex keyboard is a major support letdown.

And more knobs and sliders are always good - even if more 'stuff' does not emerge... ;)
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Saxifraga wrote:
Tom_1970 wrote:I have mixed feelings about the Korg ARP Odyssey.
The Alesis Andromeda to me is one of the finest examples of how to make a analog synthesizer in modern times. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford one at the time, but I think companies like Elektron, Dave Smith Instruments, Waldorf and Moog are making far more interesting analog instruments than Korg at the moment.
+1

I think Korg just wants to cash in on the retro wave as much as possible.
It´s like selling this esoteric 'energized water' bs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXGfIdegM3I
People have gone nuts to buy all the ugly things from the past without any modern features.
Just compare Moog Sub 37 ($1350) and MS-20 DIY ($1500) set and you see what I mean.

But the System-1 is also a bit insane. Why the heck do they drop velocity sensitivity?
That´s a deal breaker for me. Aftertouch may not be necessary but velocity? :(
Completely agree, but maybe they produced this synth not for keyboard players but for the DJ market... who knows what is in their heads these days???

P.S: no offense to DJs...
Sir Synth-a-lot

Post by Sir Synth-a-lot »

PauloF wrote:
Saxifraga wrote:
Tom_1970 wrote:I have mixed feelings about the Korg ARP Odyssey.
The Alesis Andromeda to me is one of the finest examples of how to make a analog synthesizer in modern times. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford one at the time, but I think companies like Elektron, Dave Smith Instruments, Waldorf and Moog are making far more interesting analog instruments than Korg at the moment.
+1

I think Korg just wants to cash in on the retro wave as much as possible.
It´s like selling this esoteric 'energized water' bs.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GXGfIdegM3I
People have gone nuts to buy all the ugly things from the past without any modern features.
Just compare Moog Sub 37 ($1350) and MS-20 DIY ($1500) set and you see what I mean.

But the System-1 is also a bit insane. Why the heck do they drop velocity sensitivity?
That´s a deal breaker for me. Aftertouch may not be necessary but velocity? :(
Completely agree, but maybe they produced this synth not for keyboard players but for the DJ market... who knows what is in their heads these days???

P.S: no offense to DJs...
I think the Aira line have the electronica and DJ scene written all over them, they’re impressive synths, system 1 could also make an excellent solo synth on top of the Fantom and Jupiter-80’s performance capabilities.

It’s a perfect compliment.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

Forum Admins, why not creating a new Forum for AIRA ? these babies have nothing to do with the FA's ;-)
Please...

I think the Clan community agrees with me ;-)
Cheers
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I agree!
(I started this topic here because I categorized the FA's and Aira's as 'new and upcoming') ;-)
cello

Post by cello »

+1! would be great if the mods could create an Aira section.

There will be more and more on this topic as we get closer to full release and particularly so afterwards!
RKfan

Post by RKfan »

I was just about to buy a minibrute because I want something small (can sit on the sofa and play rather than be locked away in my man cave) and hands on than the workstations I have (more tweakable - the kronos is great and makes some brilliant noises but there are so many menus that progress can be slow - where is portamento again??) - so then Roland announce the AIRA and Korg the Odyssey. I like the idea of the plugouts on the AIRA especially if they produce the System 100 (according to MusicTech magazine its on the list), but if the odyssey is as good as the vintage one - it'll be a hard decision.

What is exciting is there are a lot of "analogue" out there right now.

I'll wait till Autumn to see how these pan out......
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

RKfan wrote:I was just about to buy a minibrute because I want something small (can sit on the sofa and play rather than be locked away in my man cave) and hands on than the workstations I have (more tweakable - the kronos is great and makes some brilliant noises but there are so many menus that progress can be slow - where is portamento again??) - so then Roland announce the AIRA and Korg the Odyssey. I like the idea of the plugouts on the AIRA especially if they produce the System 100 (according to MusicTech magazine its on the list), but if the odyssey is as good as the vintage one - it'll be a hard decision.

What is exciting is there are a lot of "analogue" out there right now.

I'll wait till Autumn to see how these pan out......
Are you sure the New "Korg" Odissey will be 100% analogue?
RKfan

Post by RKfan »

Hence the quotes around "analogue" - I would actually doubt that the Odyssey would be totally analogue - for me that doesn't matter - what does matter is whether it sounds right and is as hands on as the original - same goes for the aira.

I would hope actually that both synths bring something new to the game and are more than faithful reconstructions of old synths - more like 21st century versions that add to the heritage.
PauloF

Post by PauloF »

RKfan wrote:Hence the quotes around "analogue" - I would actually doubt that the Odyssey would be totally analogue - for me that doesn't matter - what does matter is whether it sounds right and is as hands on as the original - same goes for the aira.

I would hope actually that both synths bring something new to the game and are more than faithful reconstructions of old synths - more like 21st century versions that add to the heritage.
That's exactly why my "teasing" question ;-)

Pure analogue was the 20th Century way, hence the instability of the Oscillators and difficulty to control them.
I know that is by some purists it is considered as a good thing and as vintage, but IMO it doesn't make any sense to produce boards that way now, as the technology evolved and Digital / Modeling are capable of generate / Simulate ANY sound without the pure analogue drawbacks.

At the end all comes down to THE SOUND it produces and not the way it is produced, so my +1 on that
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

PauloF wrote:Are you sure the New "Korg" Odissey will be 100% analogue?
I'm sure. KORG said so, and the MS-20 is fully analog.
Tokyo, Japan - February 17, 2014 - KORG INC. is proud to announce that a faithful recreation of the legendary 1970s analog synthesizer, the ARP Odyssey, is being developed by KORG for release later in 2014.

In the last few years, KORG INC. has released several top selling analog synthesizers such as the monotrons series, the monotribe, the volca series and the hugely successful MS-20 mini, a faithful fully analog recreation of the 1978 MS-20. With KORG's technology capabilities and planning ability for analog synthesizers, and in collaboration with David Friend, we believe the legendary ARP Odyssey will become a "must have" for an all new generation of music makers.
I'm still holding out for a Roland System-2 with a 61 note keyboard, and if I can dream for a second, with a poly aftertouch keyboard. Not only that, but synth models of Roland's legendary synthesizers such as the Jupiter-8, System 700 and JD-990, as well as Prophet-5, Memorymoog and CS-80.

Since the Prophet filter is supposedly in the Jupiters and Integra already, Moog too, why not build a full blown virtual synth like them? They would sell like mad.
Venn Diagram

Post by Venn Diagram »

synthguy99 wrote:
PauloF wrote:Are you sure the New "Korg" Odissey will be 100% analogue?
I'm sure. KORG said so, and the MS-20 is fully analog.
Tokyo, Japan - February 17, 2014 - KORG INC. is proud to announce that a faithful recreation of the legendary 1970s analog synthesizer, the ARP Odyssey, is being developed by KORG for release later in 2014.

In the last few years, KORG INC. has released several top selling analog synthesizers such as the monotrons series, the monotribe, the volca series and the hugely successful MS-20 mini, a faithful fully analog recreation of the 1978 MS-20. With KORG's technology capabilities and planning ability for analog synthesizers, and in collaboration with David Friend, we believe the legendary ARP Odyssey will become a "must have" for an all new generation of music makers.
I'm still holding out for a Roland System-2 with a 61 note keyboard, and if I can dream for a second, with a poly aftertouch keyboard. Not only that, but synth models of Roland's legendary synthesizers such as the Jupiter-8, System 700 and JD-990, as well as Prophet-5, Memorymoog and CS-80.

Since the Prophet filter is supposedly in the Jupiters and Integra already, Moog too, why not build a full blown virtual synth like them? They would sell like mad.

You can pretty much do anything the JD990 / JD800 and D550 / D50 did sonically on an Integra-7.
Actually my Integra-7 has replaced my JV-1080, JD990 Expanded, D550 Rack.
If you want a VA based on the Prophet 5 either the Yamaha AN1X or Nord Lead 2 will get you close enough IMHO.
A virtual CS80 in a keyboard with al features would still be rather pricey IMHO but I hope the System 1 models sounds as close to originals as possible. If they could pull off the SH-2, SH101, System 100 (keyboard only) and/or the SH09 I'd be pretty please myself but the Integra SN-S engine does pretty good emulations of the Jupiter, Juno 106, JX series quite well also.
I'd love to see the sounds of the 707/727/606/CR78 available for the TR8 myself and just have superbly done emu's of the classic SH series mono's for the System 1 but understand that other peoples needs may vary.
I'm still not quite convinced by the TB3 and would rather get a Cyclone Bassbot TT03 for that kind of wig out but we shall see.
Tom_1970

Re: Roland AIRA

Post by Tom_1970 »

The manuals and drivers for the TR-8, TB-3 and VT-3 are online on Roland.com and Rolandus.