Where's the buzz?

Forum for Aira
cello

Where's the buzz?

Post by cello »

Am amazed there haven't been more posts in the Aira section! These things are now shipping to their eager owners...

Anyway, I heard the TR-8 and TB-3 in 'the flesh' today - sound really, really good; much better than any of the demos I've heard online. So easy to use too.

I collect mine on Friday so am looking forward to using them to work on a 5/4 piece I'm doing just now.

My System-1 arrives mid-June.
Tom_1970

Re: Where's the buzz?

Post by Tom_1970 »

I ordered a TR-8 and TB-3 just after Namm so I hope I can collect them later this week or next week.

I can't wait to play with them.
Drums are not the main course in my music, but whenever I use them I like electronic drums over 'realistic' ones.
I looked to some drumcomputers in the past and considered a D16 Nepheton, but I really don't want software when it isn't absolutely necessary.
I ordered a Korg Volca Beats when it came out and although I like this little machine it has some disadvantages.
I think the TR-8 is the answer to my wishes.

The TB-303 never appealed to me, but the TB-3 looks like a lot of fun.
The extras sounds and possibilities makes it an attractive little machine for a nice price.

I hope I can share my experiences soon.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Just collected my set and having some good fun!
Ricoche

Post by Ricoche »

I just bought the first set I found here in Nagano-city, JAPAN a few days ago. The stores in Japan are just now getting them in. Many shops online do not have them them yet, but I'm sure very soon they'll be available on Amazon Japan for example. The System-1 is not due out until June in Japan last I heard.

With regards to questions, I actually haven't had too many. It's been fun jamming with the TR8, TB3, and VT3.

I'm very happy with all three machines and do recommend them.
magikroom

Post by magikroom »

There is a Buzz, comments on Gearslutz, Sonic State etc. I think it says more about this forum, rather than a lack of discussion about it.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Agreed actually, I have found a lot more activity on the Korg forums and Gearslutz, but I find Gearslutz to be a massive slanging match at times and puts me off that site.

Either that or Roland users don't frequent forums as much they just get on with it..
magikroom

Post by magikroom »

Plus Roland have their own forum.
cello

Post by cello »

magikroom wrote:Plus Roland have their own forum.
Which is as responsive as a cooked lobster.

This was posted on 9th March re Roland's most recent big buzz item, the TR-8. It is yet to receive a single reply... http://www.rolandforums.co.uk/forums/viewthread/6814/
magikroom

Post by magikroom »

Haha...I never said it was any good. There has been a lot of buzz I think over these machines and i'm very happy with TR-8...just trying to convince myself about the TB-3, but I had an original 303 in the early 90's that sat in a box, as I had no idea how to use it (no manual, no internet)...sold it for £150...kicking myself now.
synthguy99

Post by synthguy99 »

Personally, I'm waiting for a System-2 synth. System-80? ;D

Those 8 patch memories and that two octave keyboard are just dreadful for a synthesist like me. I need something far bigger. I also don't care much for an SH-101 model. Give me a Jupiter-8 and a System 700. However you can make a System 700 work in there. Maybe Arturia's Origin is a better idea in that regard...

Plug-out synth models I'd love to see:

Jupiter-8
Jupiter-4
Prophet-5
Minimoog
Memorymoog
ARP Odyssey/2600
ARP/Rhodes Chroma
Oberheim 8 Voice
OB-Xa/8
Matrix-12
Synthex
CS-80

Oh, and a five octave polypressure keyboard. I don't want much. ;D
allmobiledjs

Post by allmobiledjs »

Hi All,

Thumbs up to Roland on the AIRA line!

I'm thinking we need an AIRA unit with a USB hub on the back to plug all the other AIRAs into that can mix everything down to a single stereo master out and maybe provide some, sampling, sequencing capabilities?

Is that even possible?
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

Shame these thread end up being wish lists.

Roland mostly under spec their gear, small bug fixes, one major upgrade and that's it. The Aira line lack many capabilities that the original TR gear had or modern users expect. A few more months of usage will tell if these are good in their own right. I know Roland are super keen to distance themselves from the MC-303 gear. We'll see. My test for buying anything is if it can add anything to the mix I can't already do. I can't say yes to the Aira line.

PS not a Roland hater. JP-8000, V-Synth and Fantom series are all fine instruments.

B
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

In a mix for be the TR8 won't give me anything different that my current plugins can do. I think these a soley aimed mostly at DJ's or producers working live. When I saw one of the Demo's at Musicmesse and saw all the little boxes and thousands of leads thrown all over, it looks like regression to me rather than progression.

For me I;d like to see something like the System-1 as mentioned above but something bigger with tight integration into DAWS so you can get the plug-outs of all of Rolands gear. I know Roland were put off releasing legacy synths as plugins when they discovered how much Korg lost out with piracy of their Korg Legacy plugins (which I love). So to have them as Plug-outs in hardware but tight integration into a DAW would be the next best thing, so I hope the System-1 concept is developed further that way.
HaveIt

Post by HaveIt »

It will be interesting to see how the plug out is protected from copying. I don't understand the whole process because Roland are pretty coy about the real details yet. Either all the code is already in the System-1 and becomes unlocked or it actually does get installed in the firmware if you buy the license. But can you have several plugouts in the System-1 and switch between them without a computer?

Some people may buy the plugout to install on the system-1 and never use it in a DAW. But it depends how dependent the System-1 is on a computer.

B
allmobiledjs

Post by allmobiledjs »

I think it's one plug out installed at a time.
But can you have several plugouts in the System-1 and switch between them without a computer?
B