Tb3 , No tune , No glide , Fixed at 96khz , BAD DESIGN

Forum for Aira
isdn

Tb3 , No tune , No glide , Fixed at 96khz , BAD DESIGN

Post by isdn »

Can someone at Roland Please wake up ?

the follow errors / bugs / bad design choices need addressing in the Tb3

Its fixed to 96khz sample rate when using usb audio - most people work at 44 or 48 so please allow adjustable sample rate.

The sequencer fails to export Glide ? thats pathetic as its a key part of the sound.

The external control of the Tb3 works fine but you cannot control glide or emulate this via external control.

THE TB3 HAS NO TUNE FUNCTION - speechless ????????????????????????????????????
piaknowguy

Re: Tb3 , No tune , No glide , Fixed at 96khz , BAD DESIGN

Post by piaknowguy »

Uhhh . . . Welcome to the forum?

It is in rather bad form that your first post as a guest in our clan forum is a rant on a new and very exciting Roland product. With absolutely no credibility here, your post will most likely be considered an attempt at trolling.

Why not start by telling us a little about yourself? Give us some background info. I'm assuming that you were impressed enough with the TB3 to purchase one. Being a new owner, there must be a number of features that you appreciate and enjoy. Share them with us! I know that I would be more open to taking your "observations" seriously. As it stands now, until I hear from some of our loyal membership, I read your post with skepticism.
cello

Post by cello »

piaknowguy; isdn is a visitor from GS. Not that this is a bad thing, however isdn has made similar comments over there.

Welcome to the clan isdn :)

We do things a bit different here! Of course you have right to highlight the bad and ugly about a Roland product. But let's not overlook the good.

Not all the factors you mention are important to everyone. They may be to you but for example, tuning and glide external control as well as 96khz simply do not register for me. So therefore, what remains is good :)

Best thing to do is get in touch with your regional Roland. Let them know why you're concerned such things are left out - perhaps a future firmware upgrade might address - who knows. Between manual printing and units actually shipping, the TR-8 suddenly got PTN copy which it originally didn't have so anything is possible.
magikroom

Post by magikroom »

Well glide (portamento - CC#84) is not something that is ever sent over MIDI as standard as it works different for each synth/setting, pitch bend yes, but not glide as that is the interval between 2 notes...That is only a function or feature of a particular synth, where as pitch bend is standardised. I'm with you on the 96k though as i use a different interface at 44.1khz in Logic and connect my digital mixer with ADAT/ S/PDIF so I lose digital connection when I select my TR-8 as an input. Not the end of the world though, can do it as normal audio...in fact the sending of audio over USB was a welcome feature but I set my mind on it before. Hope they change it though, would help workflow, but not a bad thing
OneToForeseeForOne

Post by OneToForeseeForOne »

The TB-3/TR-8 sends MIDI CC from the onboard knobs, but since the MIDI has lower resolution than the internal processing of the AIRA-Series the MIDI recorded results will be somewhat not precisely smooth as the operation from the knobs themselves. This is what I read in the FAQ of Roland Japan website.

The internal processing must be done in very high resolution, I think.
skinmechanic

Post by skinmechanic »

Whatever features the TB3 doesn't have and although I wouldn't consider one myself just due to personal preference of what I use. You have to remember the price point and build quality, the more features you add in, the more development time Roland need, the more the cost goes up to develop the product.

This is giving the TB3 sound and functionality to the masses in what ever way, hopefully Roland will add further imrovements to this unit as sales hit a certain point they can throw more investment into it.

You have to remember, what did the original TB303 do? could it do the things that ISDN talks about?
magikroom

Post by magikroom »

Just picked one up and so far, I think it's great. Was messing around for ages with it and my TR-8. Great fun.
rbrucemtl

Post by rbrucemtl »

I love the TB-3... I'm using just the 1/4" analog connections, it's trying to sound analog so analog connections fit it and have very low noise if your doing them correctly. If your using ASIO4ALL well then you don't even have a real audio interface so the 96Khz is the least of your concerns.

As for midi... if it's in sync and you use it by design there is no problems. Tuning is a little odd to be left out... I own many synths and only the TB-3 is lacking a basic tune function.