System 1 Editor / Librarian

Forum for Aira
paologatto

System 1 Editor / Librarian

Post by paologatto »

I'm writing an Editor / Librarian for the System 1

I'm including the following options:
- save on the computer the dumps of the panel data of System 1 in .PRM format, so they can be used to create custom banks using the Restore function of System 1
- load .PRM files saved on the computer and send them to the System 1
- edit in real time the System 1 (Manual) patch from the computer editor (and viceversa)
- create and organize custom banks using the saved .PRM files

Any additional ideas?
holewczynski

Re: System 1 Editor / Librarian

Post by holewczynski »

I guess it would wishful thinking on my part that this will be available on both a PC and a Mac?
paologatto

Post by paologatto »

I have the tools only for programming in windows.. but I have also a mac (actually I work on a mac, with bootcamp and windows) and maybe, with the help of someone more expert of me of OSX, that with some third party conversion tool like wine or similar, it willwork also in mac. *maybe*
cello

Post by cello »

That's a fantastic idea - let me know if I can help with testing or such.

No further ideas - you've got the main ones.
paologatto

Post by paologatto »

sure! all seems to work in both the directions (tested on a couple of knobs for now), remains to extend to the whole panel and make the file load/save part...
As soon as a beta version will be ready I'll post here ;-)
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

Very cool!
neilpwaa

Post by neilpwaa »

Looking forward to this! Cheers
paologatto

Post by paologatto »

just finished to upload everything. It's a first release, so tell me if something goes wrong..

Here is a video with some explanation and sounds:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYqHa7EFTkU

and a web page with download link and other info:

http://www.purebits.com/system1.html
cello

Post by cello »

Bought the full version earlier this evening.

Works flawlessly and is a brilliant thing to have! Thanks for developing :)
paologatto

Post by paologatto »

thank you! have fun!

I have also some new ideas of things to add and some improvements.. stay tuned :)
cello

Post by cello »

Sounds good!

That's a point - do existing customers get upgrades as you release them or is there an extra fee?
paologatto

Post by paologatto »

updates will be free of charge
cello

Post by cello »

paologatto wrote:updates will be free of charge
That's great :)

For the benefit of others thought I'd post my independent review, so here goes;

I bought the full version which allows for the creation of random patches and other stuff. Paid through PayPal which advised the seller would send registration details. This he did in around an hour or so.

I downloaded the app. There's no installer - it simply runs itself. I'm using Window 7 here. So I opened the app and first thing I did was get it unlocked using the registration details I was emailed. Worked first time.

The app itself is as per screenshots and video above. All very easy to understand - no manual required! There's a handy pop-up that explains how to connect the System-1 and how to setup the midi connections. I'm never very good with such things (I don't use DAWs or computers in music-making) but again this worked first time of trying.

So I'm hooked up between app and System-1. There are some free patches that come with the app which are very good in their own right! Just by clicking on each patch name the sound is sent to the System-1 and you can use it. I then tried the randomising function which was great fun producing sounds you would never logically come up with!

It is easy to save any of these sounds for late recall. It works just as easily the other way round - the app receiving existing onboard System-1 sounds. You can tweak sounds by either twiddling the hardware knobs or on screen - result is exactly the same.

Overall, it has to be said this is a brilliant app that is easily setup and then is easy to use - it does everything with results you'd expect. There are no bugs that I've been aware of whilst using it and also no crashes or such stuff. Very reliable in fact.

To conclude - this is really useful at a very reasonable price and does exactly what it promises to do. I have now created dozens of sounds (not just through randomiser!) that I can store, edit and easily transfer between PC and System-1.

Congratulations paologatto - it's a great app you've built there and I wholeheartedly recommend it :)
paologatto

Post by paologatto »

thank you for the review cello!

Actually the randomize function was a "last minute" idea but really gives very unexpected and interesting results, and also reveals the potentiality of the synth (some of the obtained patches should be studied!). In a future update I'm thinking to add some more options for it
StefYver

Post by StefYver »

Sounds very good. If you ever release a Mac version, I'll be buying too.