New Plug-out SH-2

Forum for Aira
Jan_nl

New Plug-out SH-2

Post by Jan_nl »

I'm surprised no one mentioned the new upocoming plug-in/out yet, the SH-2.
I don't have any personal experience with the SH-2, but judging from the sound in the video it sounds really fat and substantial.

There's one request I have concerning the plug-ins (the VSTs running on a computer): I wish there was an option to make them polyphonic instead of monophonic.
magikroom

Re: New Plug-out SH-2

Post by magikroom »

It does sound good, but can't see them doing poly for the System 1. You can guarantee that they will release a 61 key version for their previous poly synths and will load the mono's. Would have thought it will have a plug out for poly and another for mono, as well as the onboard sound engine. Besides, they were just mono's anyway, so can't see them being updated to poly...just my 2 penith!
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I like the concept of the System-1 and I have considered buying one for quite a while.
The fact that Roland seems to release only monosynths one of the reasons I don't. If I remember well the SH-2 and Promars where mentioned in the original showcase of the Aira.

Of course we don't know what Roland is developing more for the System-1, but also the controller itself has to many limitations for me to be a worthy addition to my setup.

I like the knob layout of the System-1, but I absolutely don't like the keybed. Also the absence of velocity makes it not very usefull as a controller for other stuff (sotsynths, G2) to me.

I don't know what Roland has planned for the future, but it's nice to speculate about a System-2.
I see a nice keyboard (3 octaves or more) with a lot of knobs that control the System-2 synthesizer, a far more polyphonic version of the system-1 synth. It contains several slots for plugout synthesizers which you can also with the knobs.
The plugout synths are recreations of famous Roland synths like the Jupiters, Juno's, D50 etc., or maybe new developed instruments. With the VariOS-8 and VC-1 (D50) Roland proved that they are capable of recreating these instruments.

For the moment I think the System-1 is a very nice instrument but the limitations makes it not very interesting for me.
However I hope that Roland will develop this concept of instrument further because I think it has a lot of potential.
Jan_nl

Post by Jan_nl »

I agree that the System-1 is limited, and I much rather would have preferred a version with at least 61 keys, velocity sensitive and with aftertouch.

But I also read that new plug-ins will be developed which can be run without the need for a System-1, and with all the CPU power available I think it's a shame that there's no option for polyphony, especially since I really like the sound of the plug-ins/-outs so far.
Who knows, maybe Roland is planning to release a new flagship workstation which is able to run the AIRA plug-outs?

Whatever may be the case, I hope the AIRA team will consider making the current plug-ins polyphonic.
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

The System-1 is a cool little Synth. The keys do not have much travel but I prefer them over mini sized keys. I think the main reason Roland went with this keybed was to keep the profile small and in line/height with the other Aira instruments.
I am hoping they make a new Jupiter with 61 keys utilizing the ACB technology with knobs and sliders and the ability to add other models (Jupiter-4, Jupiter-8, Jupiter-6).
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I can understand Roland's choices for the keybed and size since they aim the whole Aira series on Live performance, but for me as a home studio musician it's not what I want in a controller.
I do think that the knob layout of the System-1 is very clever and I like that to see that in future instruments.

On the moment I am saving to buy a Prophet 12 soon so maybe that is also 'coloring' my opinion. ;-)
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

I am not a system1 owner and probably never will be, but purchased the SH-2 plug-in,
Love the sound of this soft synth.
I do not mind the monophonic aspect because the original was mono and want it to be like the original.
Glad they are staying somewhat true to the original although the SH-2 plug-in has some additions to it the original didn't have, which expands it quite a bit.
Really nice additions by the way, but the SH-2 was Monophonic with all the mono characteristics that go with a mono system, glad they stayed true to that.

I am hoping that Roland is planning on a future Jupiter 4, 6 and 8 plug-ins which will have the polyphony those synths had. And please Roland don't sacrifice sound quality for CPU usage, if the JP6&8 take a powerful computer to capture those synths that's OK with me. U-HE Diva does a great job emulating the old analog classics but states before you buy that it will demand high CPU usage and needs a powerful computer.

If Roland captures those synths the way they captured the sound and look of the SH-2 what a treat to look forward to! Maybe they will come out with a System 2 and or higher in the future that will handle the added polyphony of future plug-ins. But for right now there are other controllers to use with and work just fine for the SH-2.

Roland really did a great job with the SH-2 plug-in, keep them coming and I will be buying each new one as they come out.
richardbates1

Post by richardbates1 »

richardbates1 wrote:I am not a system1 owner and probably never will be, but purchased the SH-2 plug-in,
Love the sound of this soft synth.
I do not mind the monophonic aspect because the original was mono and want it to be like the original.
Glad they are staying somewhat true to the original although the SH-2 plug-in has some additions to it the original didn't have, which expands it quite a bit.
Really nice additions by the way, but the SH-2 was Monophonic with all the mono characteristics that go with a mono system, glad they stayed true to that.

I am hoping that Roland is planning on a future Jupiter 4, 6 and 8 plug-ins which will have the polyphony those synths had. And please Roland don't sacrifice sound quality for CPU usage, if the JP6&8 take a powerful computer to capture those synths that's OK with me. U-HE Diva does a great job emulating the old analog classics but states before you buy that it will demand high CPU usage and needs a powerful computer.

If Roland captures those synths the way they captured the sound and look of the SH-2 what a treat to look forward to! Maybe they will come out with a System 2 and or higher in the future that will handle the added polyphony of future plug-ins. But for right now there are other controllers to use with and work just fine for the SH-2.

Roland really did a great job with the SH-2 plug-in, keep them coming and I will be buying each new one as they come out.
Whhooops I just discovered that there is no midi learn on the SH-2 plug-in.... for other controllers that aren't the System-1, at least I haven't found a way to do it. Maybe I will get the System-1 after all or wait for the system-2?