Does Roland plan to do non-Roland Plug-Outs?

Forum for Aira
konjurer

Does Roland plan to do non-Roland Plug-Outs?

Post by konjurer »

Does Roland plan to create Plug-outs for non-Roland brand vintage synths? I would love to have an ARP, Korg, Oberhiem or Moog from the past.
jx3p

Re: Does Roland plan to do non-Roland Plug-Outs?

Post by jx3p »

I highly doubt they'll do that. Most people would be happy already if they would release plug-outs of their vintage polyphonic synths ( Jupiter's & Juno's).

There's decent plug-ins available tho emulating the vintage synths by moog, korg & arp at least, but no plug-outs.
cello

Post by cello »

I agree with jx3p - totally unlikely that Roland will open up their source code so that a Korg can be played on a System 1. Kind of like would Korg allow a JP-80 engine be used on the Kronos? Nah. Not going to happen!

The industry just doesn't work that way - and never will.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Besides, I think that there is a lot Roland can do with their own history of instruments.
konjurer

Post by konjurer »

cello wrote:I agree with jx3p - totally unlikely that Roland will open up their source code so that a Korg can be played on a System 1. Kind of like would Korg allow a JP-80 engine be used on the Kronos? Nah. Not going to happen!

The industry just doesn't work that way - and never will.
I'm not sure that is what I was suggesting. Roland has the technology and techniques to analyze a vintage synth, why not use it to model other classics? Nobody is "opening up their source code" to a competitor. It doesn't work that way. Boss COSM technology models Marshall and Fender amps.

Korg and Behringer are both bringing out ARP Odyssey clones. Clearly they feel there is a market. So why shouldn't Roland also bring back some of the other non-Roland classics on the SYSTEM-1.

This is my first Roland synth. So I don't have any nostalgia for old Roland synths. I do have nostalgia for other vintage synths from ARP, Moog and Korg. I would buy a ARP plug-out in a heart beat and I'm guessing a lot of others would as well.
cello

Post by cello »

Ah, got you now. Apologies for misreading your post.

That said, I stand by my thought that Roland won't do that with non-Roland keyboards. As Tom_1970 says, Roland has more than enough of their own legacy equipment to re-model for the System-1. The Promars plugout is currently being worked on. Then there's the original Jupiters and Junos.

It is my belief that NAMM will see some key Roland launches - but that is just my belief; I may well find I am disappointed!
Synthtron

Post by Synthtron »

I agree they will probably only produce Roland classics, Which is cool!