MX-1 AIRA / USB Ports in "Mixer Mode"

Forum for Aira
Gaetano

MX-1 AIRA / USB Ports in "Mixer Mode"

Post by Gaetano »

The MX-1 Manual states, that in the default Mixer Mode

'Mixes the AIRA products or other hardware that is connected to the MX-1. If no AIRA products are connected to the USB HOST ports, the playback from the computer is input to USB channels 1-4 and can be mixed [sic] '

So I gather: NO AIRA devices => 4 USB channels to playback from computer.

BUT I asked Roland about this and they could not state whether or not it also meant:

1 AIRA device => 3 unused USB Channels to playback from computer.
2 AIRA devices => 2 unused USB Channels to playback from computer.
3 AIRA devices => 1 unused USB Channel to playback from computer.
OR
At least 1 AIRA device => OTHER 3 USB Channels could NOT be used for anything else except other AIRA devices.
Gaetano

Re: MX-1 AIRA / USB Ports in "Mixer Mode"

Post by Gaetano »

I spoke to Roland and it looks so far that AIRA => Nothing else in the other USB Slots.

Also the TR-8 Has stereo outs + A & B , BUT the USB Buss is stereo only so in order to use A & B outs you will need to route them into 2 of the MX-1 mono channels. This seems a waste as the whole idea of the MX-1 was to integrate AIRA and synths a DAW. Since Roland is using their own AIRA standard for the USB ports, why can't they figure out a way to route TR-8 outs A & B or anything else for that matter into any unused USB channels if you are not using 4 AIRA devices, as they can route all percussion instruments of the TR-8 via driver in a DAW?
Gaetano

Post by Gaetano »

Roland just got back to me after testing the JD-Xi in the MX-1 USB port and stated categorically that it "does not work" in the mixer.

I just want to state that this is INSANE.

I also want to state that I have pre-oredered an MX-1 and I am already dissapointed with it, before I have even taken possesion of one and used it!

I already own a TR-8 and TB-3 which I think are great for the price, and I was going to purchase a JD-Xi.

There goes my aspirations for using the MX-1 for anything more than a DAW controller, as I will have to use 2 mono channels for the TR-8 A&B outs live and NOT use 4 channels of the USB, as I only have 2 AIRA devices!

It looks as though I will still need my bigger mixer just to mix in some extra channels!
Ludvig

Post by Ludvig »

Roland just got back to me after testing the JD-Xi in the MX-1 USB port and stated categorically that it "does not work" in the mixer.

I just want to state that this is INSANE.
Hey,

I realize that this is an old post but just for the sake of it I'll add that you just have to update the software of the MX-1 to get it working with most Roland synths over AIRA link.

JD-XA, JD-Xi, JUNO-Gi, JUPITER-50, JUPITER-80, FA-06/07/08, JUNO-DS61/76/88 and almost all the Boutiques is working.