DEMORA: impressions and thoughts

Forum for Aira
Tom_1970

DEMORA: impressions and thoughts

Post by Tom_1970 »

I bought a Demora last week and I really like this module.

The Demora is a delay module that you can use as a desktop module, but you can also integrate it into a Eurorack modular system. Since I am new to modular synthesizers I haven’t got a Eurorack case yet, but I am planning to buy one in the near future.
On the moment I have the System-1m, Dark Time sequencer, Dark Energy, MiniBrute and Demora to work with in a (semi-)modular setup.

The Demora is a very easy module to work with, just turn the knobs and listen to wat it does to the sound. The fact that you can control parameters with CV/Gate makes it a very interesting thing to work with. Time, Feedback, Width, Dry/Wet, Hold and Bypass are all patchable parameters.
You have delay times from 20 microseconds up to 10 seconds which I think is suitable in most situations where you need a delay effect. The sound is very good in my opinion.

There is also a editor available for the Demora and the other Aira modules.
With this editor or customizer as Roland calls it, you can connect up to 6 virtual modules to the Demora which you can patch in various ways. You can for instance modulate the feedback with a LFO or you can filter the signal before it is delayed. De virtual knobs of these modules can bet patched to the Demora controllers so you can use the knobs to control the filter or whatever parameter. You can even disconnect the main module and use the Demora for instance as a filter module.
For a beginner in the modular field, as I am, this gives you very nice and interesting possibilities.
When you have all the Aira modules the virtual modules give you a more expanded system than the modules itself would give.
When I don’t need a distortion effect I can turn the Toricido into a filter or noise module, which gives interesting possibilities to experiment beyond the scope of the original unit.

There are also some cons on this little machine.
In the first place the manual. This is the notorious piece of folded paper that Roland provide with every Aira instrument. I used to love the Roland manuals, but I think the Aira manuals don’t even earn to be called manuals.
I must say that the Customizer has a nice in-app manual which you can send as a pdf.

Another con is the lack of

The Aira modules use 450mA and that is quite a lot when used in a Eurorack setting.

An advantage for MX-1 owners is that you can connect the Demora via USB to the MX-1.

With the release of the System-1m, Aira modules and the upcoming System-500 modules, Roland gives me a nice entrance to the modular world.
BobTheDog

Re: DEMORA: impressions and thoughts

Post by BobTheDog »

There does seem to be a major flaw in the Demora though.

There is no way of filtering the feedback, this seems insane to me. Or am I missing something?
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I am not sure what you mean, but you can add a filter module in the the customizer app.
BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog »

Hi,

You can filter the input, or the output but not the feedback (the output from the delay being fed back to the input).

Without this it is impossible to make each delay repetition duller for example.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Something like this?
Demora-filter.mp3
(1.2 MiB) Downloaded 102 times
BobTheDog

Post by BobTheDog »

No not like that!
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

I am afraid I don't understand what you mean then.
magikroom

Post by magikroom »

Tom_1970 wrote:I am afraid I don't understand what you mean then.
I think he means, like an analogue delay...each subsequent repeat will get darker, instead of all of them being dark. So it cascades from bright repeats to dark...is pretty much analogue bucket brigade process.
Tom_1970

Post by Tom_1970 »

Thanks for the explanation.

I think you're right about it being analog, so I don't think this is what the Demora is meant for, but I wonder if you can get close to this with some clever patching in the customizer.
I will give it a try in the coming days.