Connect two MX-1s

Forum for Aira
kimsnarf

Connect two MX-1s

Post by kimsnarf »

I'm happy with my MX-1 but I need more analog inputs. Has anyone tried using two MX-1s? For example with digital out (SPDIF) from one going into digital in on the other. Or both over USB to the DAW, but routed back to one? The MX-1s were clearly not meant for this (i.e. no link configuration), but I would get some benefits like double effects. And they should be able to sync tempo. Any thoughts? Crazy? Cool?
marctronixx

Re: Connect two MX-1s

Post by marctronixx »

why dont you get a digital mixer?

the mx-1 is meant as standalone for the most part , but anything is possible.

that said though, i think you are wasting bread on two of these...
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

The main reason I'm looking at getting a second is because I like the audio quality from the analog inputs. I am currently testing a Roland Studio Capture, and I prefer the stereo field (imaging) of the MX-1 to the Studio Capture (which is narrower). I also borrowed a MOTU Traveler (MkI) which had a lousy stereo field and poor sound quality. So I suspect good analog inputs will be difficult to find.

Which digital mixer would you recommend? Most are very expensive compared to the MX-1 and I have a feeling they will be overkill.
kimsnarf

Post by kimsnarf »

I have decided to keep the Studio Capture. After lots of testing the stereo field (imaging) was only an issue during lower volume monitoring on headphones. And the unit gives me a lot more flexibility and a more streamlined workflow than the MX-1. I really like the features and user interface (both hardware and software) compared to more expensive options.

I will try to integrate the MX-1 as a mixer, with or without sound, and see what I end up with. It is the only hardware I know of that can interface over USB with Roland gear like the Jupiter-80 and the Boutiques (except for computers, of course).