Aira Gear + Push 2 in Ableton Multiple Issues

Forum for Aira
ladymaverick

Aira Gear + Push 2 in Ableton Multiple Issues

Post by ladymaverick »

I've spent hours trying to figure this out, and normally I can get to the bottom of these sort of issues...but this time I am totally stuck.

Here is my setup:
Ableton Live 9 Suite running on Macbook Pro Running OSX 10.10.5
MX-1 Running as Audio Input and Output in Live
System-1 Synth plugged into USB 2 on MX-1
TR-8 plugged into USB 1 on MX-1
Push 2 Controller

My goal:
Live performance setup where I can play in parts from my TR-8 and System 1 (alongside clips generated from other tracks within Ableton). I would like to be able to use Push2 to record in fixed length midi loops (with the midi data I generate playing the TR8 and System 1).

My first issue:
I'll take this step by step since I don't want to make this overly complicated. The first issue I am having is midi feedback from the TR8. When I set up a midi track and put an external instrument on it, I then chose Midi from Mx-1 USB 1 All inputs in Live's routing control and AUDIO to Ext Out 9/10 (the track I want the drums to output to on my MX-1). This does allow me to receive midi data from the TR8. Then, on the external instrument , I chose MIDI TO MX 1 USB 1 on Channel 10 and AUDIO FROM Ext In. 9/10. The sound does correctly output to the MX-1 on the right channel. Here is the issue: So, I am sequencing a beat on the TR-8...then I use push to record a fixed length loop...then when that loop of midi data is launched while the TR-8 is still running (which it will always be running since it is synced to the MX-1 and the MX-1 controlls the performance and once I push play I don't stop the transport), then there is a midi feedback loop where the clip is playing AND the instrument itself (with pattern generator inside TR8) is playing and it creates feedback. Where am I going wrong here?

Side note: What is the difference between the MX-1 USB 1 option and the MX-1 USB 1 CTRL Option in midi routing options in Ableton?

Thank you,
Vanessa
ladymaverick

Re: Midi Feedback When Live Looping w Aira Geer

Post by ladymaverick »

OK So I am going to answer myself...I finally figured out that I couldn't use the TR8's internal sequencer AND Abletons midi sequencer (by launching clips) simultaneously with both running...this means that in order to do live looping with the TR8 I need to use Push2 as a step seuencer instead of the TR8's internal step sequencer...and this work around fixes my first issue.

Second issue:

MX-1 is in external mode and I have ableton synced to MX-1 midi clock/transport...within ableton, I have a bass sampler instrument audio being routed from ableton to track 1 on the MX-1. When the MX-1 transport is running, the bass plays perfectly. However, if the MX-1 transport is stopped...when I trigger a bass note with my midi controller it sounds almost cut off or muted...as soon as the mx-1 is set to start by clicking the start button though, the issue disappears...is this a glitch or a problem with my setup?