MX-1 and DAW record issue

Forum for Aira
Phat Kontroler

MX-1 and DAW record issue

Post by Phat Kontroler »

Hi all,
I'm using Bitwig, but the same would apply to any DAW.
As an quick intro, in Bitwig, with MX1 in EXT mode, I see 9stereo outputs/inputs.
Audio 9 is the main OUT controlled by the unit volume knob.

Now, here's my problem.

I have my System 1 connected to USB3 - Audio 8.
Set up a Hardware instrument with MIDI OUT to USB3, Audio IN from "Audio 8".
I can hear the S1 and all FX I apply on the MX1 (BFX, MFX, Filter).

To record the S1 I set up an audio track with audio IN set to "Audio 8".
It records the S1 but not the Filter to BFX... Why? I don't get it at all.
To record the MX1 filter (channel filter, not the global filter) I must set the record audio to "Audio 9", which means I need to mute all other tracks (as 9 is the master out) and crank up the master volume.
It's a workaround, but surely I'm missing something in the setup.

Shouldn't the channel FX be recorded in the audio is taken directly from that channel?

PS. I'm only describing the S1, but that happens on all channels no matter if they are fed by hardware or software inputs.

Cheers.
Nig

Re: MX-1 and DAW record issue

Post by Nig »

I think this is by design. If you look at this diag:

http://cdn.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/ ... alflow.pdf

It shows the TONE and BFX being bypassed when in External mode.
Phat Kontroler

Post by Phat Kontroler »

Yes... very strange design indeed.
Thanks.
PresetPusher

Post by PresetPusher »

Would be nice to hear from Roland if it is possible to add this in a future update or if the hardware and signal flow won't allow it.

It is actually a pretty bad design and makes the mx1 more or less worthless in the studio.
Goon

Post by Goon »

PresetPusher

Post by PresetPusher »

That video only talks about recording the master output... Not the individual channels (including bfx and other settings)
Goon

Post by Goon »

the effects are only recordable from master output to a DAW, you can select which tracks are affected by the effects.
PresetPusher

Post by PresetPusher »

If I could record filter/tone, bfx and fader per channel and get the output from mfx (and perhaps aux return) only (not mixed with the output from the different channels) on the master out I could live with it...

Or if I could get one selected channel on the main out for recording while being able to listen to the whole mix somehow too...

I find it weird that there are no better manuals or tutorials out there. Searching this forum there are more people with these issues so there is definitely demand for some sort of documentation of what can and more importantly can't be done when it comes to recording audio through the mx-1.

For me personally I only want to use my DAW as a multi track recorder. I find working with software kills my creativity, so I only want to use it when mastering and putting in some final touches. I thought the mx1 would be the perfect companion for me, but it looks like I will have to return it since Roland seems to think being able to record what you create
Theophrast

Post by Theophrast »

Hello

as i wanted to answer your post i checked my setup cause i also had this problem before.
but now it works suddenly. i can record every channel with the bfx and tone filter movements of my performance!! so unfortunately i cannot say why but it seems possible!
AlienableTone

Post by AlienableTone »

PresetPusher wrote:For me personally I only want to use my DAW as a multi track recorder. I find working with software kills my creativity, so I only want to use it when mastering and putting in some final touches. I thought the mx1 would be the perfect companion for me, but it looks like I will have to return it since Roland seems to think being able to record what you create
I'm exactly in the same mindset right now, and currently debating whether or not I should get the MX-1.

I want to ditch my MIDI setup and go with hardware & audio, using a DAW (Ableton Live 9) for recording and mixing purposes only. But I'd also like to have a setup that's versatile enough to allow me to do both live performance and studio recording, without having to switch from one kit to another everytime I go from live to production...

So... if you're thinking that the MX-1 won't help you achieve what you're looking for, then my question is: Do you have other alternatives in mind that you could recommend? Or did someone manage to solve that issue and find a way to record bfx and mfx for each individual channel separately?

Thanks!
AT
sbontrager

Post by sbontrager »

There isn't a way to record MFX individually without tracking each track out on the master. MFX only applies to the master-out, right before the mastering effects.

I've not found a way to record BFX except on the master-out.

There is a lot to like in the MX-1, but there is a lot missing. Most of what I'd like could be done in software. How long until and MX-8 drops and those of us who got the MX-1 are left staring at our wallets?