Best way to connect everything?

Forum for Aira
DVS

Best way to connect everything?

Post by DVS »

Hey guys,

So far I've collected the TR-8, TB-3, and the VT-3.

I have the TB-3 plugged into the TR-8 via 1/4in cables to the TR-8s external in. The TR-8 is then connected to my PC via USB. The VT-3 is also connected to my PC via USB and this is where my problem lies.

I want to be able to use my VT-3 and my TR-8 at the same time just like in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiGFkFi1uUc

(sorry for links are not allowed. pls delete if so)

I am assuming i need an audio interface to be able to sync everything up to my PC at once? If so, recommendations? I currently have a Presonus Audiobox 22VSL but if my understanding of hardware thus far is correct, this little interface does not have enough "ins" ?

Also I understand that if I connect my TR-8 through to an interface I will lose the individual channels for recording each instrument but it should still allow me 4 assignable outs?

Thanks for helping out a noobie!
syver

Re: Best way to connect everything?

Post by syver »

I would recommend the MX-1.
DVS

Post by DVS »

Hey thanks for the reply, would the MX-1 also allow me room in the future to connect more hardware? From different companies as well?
zman03

Post by zman03 »

yes have a look at this image (see attachment)
Attachments
connections.jpg
connections.jpg (57.85 KiB) Viewed 835 times
DVS

Post by DVS »

Great, thank you. I went ahead with the purchase. It's awesome so far. But the only thing i do not like is when recording my jams, I can record each individual machine (tr-8, tb 3, vt-3) but the master effects are not applied except when recording everything to stereo, which now doesnt allow further processing of the drums individually etc. Is there a work around?
KDub

Post by KDub »

It is true you loose your multichannel by routing the TR-8 digitally through the MX-1. Personally I don't do the discrete multichannel drum thing but I do host the TR-8 on the MX-1 USB hub and also run TR-8 assignable outs A & B to their own separate mono channels on the MX-1. That may still be too much of a compromise for your purposes but it's come in handy for me. I'm a big fan of the combo.